Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324

Thread: 4.3L Vortec Marine Intake Conversion Helpfull Hints:

Ballance shaft...

GM put the ballance shaft into the 4.3L to help with it's rough shaky idle.
    It makes up for the two cyl. that are missing as it's over all design is mainly
    a 350sbc with two cyl. lopped off. With out the other 2cyl it became
    a shaky engine.

There would not be a large gain from having a non ballance shaft engine over ballance shaft motor.

With the prices and avalibility of LS1 stuff now there's no reason to spend a penny on old school sbc. I agree with you 100%.
    That's why I've not been on here much as I've been playing with more LS1 stuff and less and less V6 stuff.....
    I think if done right and tuned decent the stock 4.3L with boost can become a reliable fun engine to drive.. (More like GM should have made it). If abused and run like a race engine it will end up coming apart. There's many factors that go into it holding up or breaking....
    Good luck with your build!
    ~Scott
    86 Camaro 427LSX 4L80E 98mm 4L80E 3:25 Gear [email protected] 22mpg highway
    Visit my site: www.smokedtailights.com
    Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I still get e-mails about doing this conversion.... I have no problems with that at all guys... I just have not had much time to come on here and check the threads... (Sorry)
    So if you have any additional questions that isn't addressed on here your welcome to send me a e-mail anytime.
    Thanks!
    Scott~
    [email protected]
    Thanks!

My complete modified MARINE MANIFOLD is for sale for $225 shipped. http://r.ebay.com/yqI5t5

That's one hell of a deal... all the unmodified ones I've seen were at least twice that
    '94 z28 - !AC, !A.I.R., 98+ Front Brake Swap, !Clutch
    -PB: [email protected]

'95 Saturn SL - Rice!

I have a brand new marine manifold sitting in a crate ready to ship if anyone is interested. $200 shipped obo. Email me [email protected]

Hey guys, I've been gathering all of the parts to do this swap on my 04 Blazer Xtreme and I just had a few questions:

- Marine intake: I'm looking to run stockish boost numbers on the 17c turbo, should I keep the stock Blazer MAP sensor and adapt it to the marine intake or upgrade to a 1 bar map? If so, which one is plug and play?
    - Exhaust: My year runs 3 O2 sensors, do I just run a single bank and turn the rest off via HPTuners?
    - Turbo Coolant Drain: Where is the coolant drain plumed back into?
    - Wastegate controller: What will plug into this?
    - Intake gaskets: Are the Felpro plastics acceptable for boosted applications or should I step up to the metal Felpro set?
    - Metered Air: Since these trucks use the MAF/MAP depending on open/close loop, when you run a BOV, does it need to be recirculated or can it vent to atmosphere?

I'm sure I may have a few more questions as my build progresses, but thanks for any input.
    Last edited by BlinD26; 07-31-2013 at 09:33 AM.
    2004 Blazer Xtreme - Sy/Ty Turbo Conversion in Progress

The stock Blazer MAP is a 1 bar map. Most would recommending going with either a 2 or 3 bar map sensor for boosted application.

What I've seen is running one O2 in the crossover, one O2 in the downpipe, and one O2 after the cat.

There is a brass fitting on the side of the block by the engine mount on the passenger side that the coolant return goes to.

Nothing on the current truck will plug into that so you would have to go with a stand alone controller. The stock spring in the wastegate on the 17c should limit boost to around 8 psi so you could just run the line straight into the wastegate.

Not sure on the other questions.
    2002 S-10 Xtreme, 4.3L, 5-speed
    Current Mods: CompCams 270AHR, Marine Intake, K&N FIPK, Flow 40 dual exhaust, PermaCool E-fans, B&M short throw, Blazer Dual Piston front and LS1 rear disk brake,TB Mod, HpTuners

Our Truck was a 98 and it really didn't look at the MAP sensor... it's all MAF for fuel...

For the boost level your going to be looking at there is no reason to put a BOV in it....

Pretty much a waste of money.

Put the (Drivers side O2 in the crossover pipe)
    Put the Passenger side in the downpipe...

Wish there was a better spot on the passenger side manifold for the narrowbands but

with that setup there really isn't.
    Wideband in downpipe too.

We had plastic Intake gaskets with no problems... But you know in 50-100,000mi they will degrade again and fail... if you can get the metal one's I think it'll be better off.

Any Questions shoot me a e-mail.
    [email protected]
    Thanks!

Know anyone selling sy/Ty manifolds and crossover I'm coming up empty

New to the forum and working on a 4.3 build.
    First, I just wanted to say GREAT POST! It's so nice to find some thing like this laid it so well.
    Second, my question. My build so far is high comp. pistons, a cam (haven't decided yet), larger valves, ported heads, and manifolds. I'm really interested in a marine intake but I was taught my father who is over his head in this electronic world. My big question is to you is that will the marine intake work without any tuning to the computer. I want to learn hptuners and will probably need help, having used how did you learn it how easy os it to learn etc?

Thanks... Been awhile since I've been on here or any forum really....

HPTuners isn't super hard to navigate... Plenty of help on the HPTuners forums .... You'll need to play with the tune some with the Marine intake.

The fuel pressure is higher than what your stock spider injector setup is and the injectors are slightly larger.

You'll need to edit the injector size in Hptuners first... Till your LTFT and STFT are pretty close to 0.

With a different cam/more compression and valves that'll aslo change how the air flow is....

It will start and run with your changes.. and the Marine intake (With no tune) BUT it'll be rich until warmed up when it'll go into closed loop and take

the extra fuel being injected out......

Good luck with the build!
    Scott~
    Thanks!

So I'm looking to do this conversion to my 97 Bravada. I bought the intake not realizing that it didn't come with the injectors or fuel rail... So as you can tell I'm stuck. I chcked, and there doesnt seem to be the original kit that previous posts talked about. Im not too worried about the injectors, just need the fuel rail before proceeding. I went looking around the local salvage yard to see if there will be a fuel rail that will fit and be for the 4.3l. But there aren't any 4.3 vehicles with the fuel rail.

I'm not about to go strait to Mercruiser and spend an arm and a leg on this
    Any suggestions?

Camaro Indy.jpg

Had to attach a image...

But to answer your question you will need to order that fuel rail from Mercruser Marine.

The reason I switched to the marine manifold is that no Automotive 4.3L in this generation of engines had a external fuel rail.
    ~Scott
    Thanks!

4.3 Vortec Marine Intake Swap

OK guys I'm new to this site as a member but have been reading the article about the marine intake swaps on our trucks so I am now needing a vortech 4.3 Marine MPI Intake for my truck I'm running a vortech supercharger on my truck and I've found out it can't handle over about 12 lb of boost, I've blown the stop off of 2 intake's now so Its time for the marine intake swap. I've saw a few on ebay but was wanting to check on here first to see if anyone has one there not using and would like to sale.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324