Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sound deadening on a budget

you know, i never bothered to look up frost king. I just looked at the pics and that's the closed cell foam material I was thinking of. To get really good deadening you'd need a mass loader (like edead or peel and seal or dynamat) and then this over the top. Frost king is something that will kill our number one foe...road noise. I'm thinking of putting this in my RX-8 now that I actually looked at it.
    Garage Pet :: '02 SOM WS-6 T/A: intake, Hooker headers, 3.5" cat-back with dual cutouts, skip shift elem. 345 rwhp, <40K miles
    My Daily :: '11 F-150 FX4 SCREW in Sterling Grey: Ecoboost, 20" FX4 rims, N-Fab Step bars, stock Nav and Sync, all of the other stock goodies

Men have been taught that the highest virtue is not to achieve, but to give. Yet, one cannot give that which has not been created...The need of the creator comes before the need of any possible beneficiary.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

So minor update.. I finished up the floor pan and threw the carpeting back in. It's A LOT quieter than it used to be. I put 1 layer of Frost King on the floor pan, the trans tunnel, and the gas tank and lower hatch area. Then I put a few scraps of thin, light OEM replacement deadener for a 69 Nova over the passenger side exhaust areas, then cut and placed Reflectix on top of the Frost King on the floor pan from firewall to rear seat buckets, then put the OEM carpet back on top of that.

Sounds like I'm in a decent newish sedan instead of a loud rattle-trap. Even the exhaust is quieter (time to upgrade!).

Still have to do the hardtop roof, inside sail panels (B pillars), and rear quarterpanels, along with sealing them up from the elements and stuffing them with fiberglass insulation or polyfill (pillow stuffing). I don't understand why I have three same-sized holes in the top of my wheel well. Gotta figure out how to seal those up so I can fill it with insulation.

I've gotten a lot of shit from people not knowing what Frost King was. First response after me saying "Frost King" is "wait what?" then I reply "the lightweight foam stuff you can get at Home Depot or Lowes" and they say "your car will stink like tar!!" and I say "no... It's 1/8" foam so it doesn't smell and it's lightweight *grab extra roll to show*" to which they reply "oh. does it work?". On the flip side, I have encountered people who once I said "it's foam based" will say "oh! that stuff. how thick? 1/8"? that stuff will work good for road noise!" so that tells me I'm not alone. lol
    Last edited by ZexGX; 04-21-2009 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teufel Hunden View Post
    Dude, if you could make money sitting on the internet with your dick in your hand, this board would be populated by millionaires.

emertxE elttorhT lluF
    We need to update this, Home Depot and Lowes no longer carry the adhesive backed Frost King.
    Is the one you used Zex, called SP55 12x15?
    Last edited by fbodytech; 05-11-2009 at 12:50 PM.
    2009 Civic SI
    2007 Cbr 1000
    2002 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by fbodytech View Post
    We need to update this, Home Depot and Lowes no longer carry the adhesive backed Frost King.
    Is the one you used Zex, called SP55 12x15?
    What!! Lame. I will have to check for myself... heh. And yeah it is the 12" wide roll that is 15' long.

Dude, if you could make money sitting on the internet with your dick in your hand, this board would be populated by millionaires.

emertxE elttorhT lluF
    It's not SP55 my bad, that's with insulation on the backing. The only thing I can find is FV516, which is a 4 pack of the adhesive backed kind. Zex if you still got yours laying around what's the product code/number?
    2009 Civic SI
    2007 Cbr 1000
    2002 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by fbodytech View Post
    It's not SP55 my bad, that's with insulation on the backing. The only thing I can find is FV516, which is a 4 pack of the adhesive backed kind. Zex if you still got yours laying around what's the product code/number?
    I don't have any anymore, but it is FV516 according to the Mike Mercury page in post #1. It does indeed look like Lowes isn't selling it anymore.
    Last edited by ZexGX; 05-11-2009 at 05:24 PM.

emertxE elttorhT lluF
    Just found it just under $80 for 4 rolls shipped. Expected delivery 5/20 - 5/28 so pictures prolly next month. Typing in that Lowes sku does not send you to FK. Thanks for the help.
    2009 Civic SI
    2007 Cbr 1000
    2002 Firebird

Im gonna look into doing this for my Eclipse. Feels like a gutted Honda Civic sometimes.
    ~Ryan~

A4, Z28 Catback, 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Cutout, PCMforLess tune, 3.42 Z/T
    As of now, its a 3350 lb paperweight.

I bought 3 rolls a few weeks ago at lowes. I put one roll in the car already. FV516
    Keith
    "I was plum surprised."

99 Camaro - sold
    99 TA and 2005 GMC Canyon

emertxE elttorhT lluF
    Well you got lucky, they've pulled it since.
    2009 Civic SI
    2007 Cbr 1000
    2002 Firebird

eDead also works as a cheap sound deadener, but it doesn't offer as much thermal insulation. Not that any of you care about that as much as I do... lol

emertxE elttorhT lluF
    Update: Bought 5 rolls, shipped much faster than expected and had enough to double up most of the floor pans, tunnel, wheel wells and trunk. Me and my little brother knocked the whole thing out in about 3 hours, here's a tip, wear gloves. My total deadening is single layer doors, and mentioned above. I'll have to see about sound but I might go with 3 layers on the doors. Anyways when I get a new starter I'll take it for a drive and let you know if there is any difference.
    2009 Civic SI
    2007 Cbr 1000
    2002 Firebird

emertxE elttorhT lluF
    Edit: I take some of that back, I finally broke down and got the radio in my car fixed and with the 4 rolls of this stuff coating the floor it does make a noticable difference, kinda like it now. However if you want it really quiet, it's gotta be heavier, but this is "on a budget" so it did it's job well for the money.
    Last edited by fbodytech; 05-25-2009 at 05:46 PM.
    2009 Civic SI
    2007 Cbr 1000
    2002 Firebird

So um, 2.5 yrs later.... I finally put in the frost king rolls I bought. I did the trunk well almost up to the stock plastic foot well at the front. Definite difference in exhaust noise inside the car!
    Keith
    "I was plum surprised."

99 Camaro - sold
    99 TA and 2005 GMC Canyon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12