Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3500 top end feedback and info

koolcamaro,

can you estimate what you payed for this? minus the headers.

"setup: 3.4/3500 hybrid, comp cams custom grind 110/110/229/229(.512 lift), ls6 yellow valve springs,megasquirt for tuning"

was there any porting done to the heads or manifolds?, cleanup of combustion chambers on the heads, etc. ???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Contributing Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by geartooth94 View Post
    koolcamaro,

"setup: 3.4/3500 hybrid, comp cams custom grind 110/110/229/229(.512 lift), ls6 yellow valve springs,megasquirt for tuning"

was there any porting done to the heads or manifolds?, cleanup of combustion chambers on the heads, etc. ???
    He bought the heads checked, surfaced and cleaned from us. Then when he realized the cam was too short on the duration (also decided on more lift), he sent the heads back to thave upgraded springs and polish the chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
    Then, no, you don't want to change your ECM. You already have a tunable '7730 speed density (MAP) ECM. You can use an emulator or get your self a chip burner, and you are alreqady good to go.
    sorry for the noob q's but whats the difference between an emulator o getting a chip burned??

Half Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by geartooth94 View Post
    koolcamaro,

ill give you an estimate if i had done everything right the 1st time. because no one wants to pay for two cams. also, i bought the megasquirt unassembled and ALMOSt assembled the whole thing by myself until i dropped the freakin thing and had to pay a guy to fix it(but at least it works now).

i paid $575 for the whole top end, the reason why is because i already had 3400 fuel rail and injectors and throttle body, so those werent included. then i paid $120 for labor for sandblasting everything and rebuilding the heads. then i paid another $170 for the ls6 springs and all the little parts to do the swap and polishing the chambers. roughly $150 for GM 3500 head gasket kit. i got a good deal on the comp cams custom grind cam, only because the guy on the phone told me the 260 cam would be fine with my high compression motor, but he was wrong and gave me a discount on my second cam and lifters. a custom cam would cost you $250 and lifters will cost around $160, but you might get a deal if you buy these together from comp cams. i got both for just slightly over $200 due to their mistake. you can get a custom cam from Delta cams alot cheaper, $120 for a cam. i just wanted a namebrand though. the megasquirt cost $200 unassembled. $200 for AEM wideband but that is optional.

so, 575+120+170+200=1065 for engine parts and labor. 200 +200=400 for tuning. 150 for gasket kit + headers.

Half Throttle
    i just tried that beretta computer(well, actually it was a 94 grand am computer, but they share the same one). unfortunately it did not work well. i started the car up and drove it for less than a minute. the transmission seemed weird and the speedometer sped all the way up to 60 really quick.

so, this computer wil only work on 93-95 camaro(3.4) with a 5 speed. and it should work on the 93 camaro automatic(since the computer in that year didnt control the transmission). i wish my car was a '93.

if anyone is interested in this computer, then let me know, haha.

oh,btw. i did a compression test on my car and at first it read around 220 and 215, but read higher when i redid the test. the second time it read around 230 on all cylinders.
    the car had been sitting a couple of days which probably explains why it was higher the second time, it probably took that long for the oil to fully lubricate the rings, thus giving me a higher reading. i guess 230 is better than my previous readings of 240-250. i was hoping for a lower cranking compression though.

car hasnt detonated yet and im currently running it on 89 octane. it is very close to winter time though so i dont know how it would act in the heat. i do know that when i broke in the custom cam for the first 5 min., the coolant temp reached about 220 because i didnt realize i was a little low on coolant, and the motor didnt act up then. it was probably 60 degree weather during cam break in.

Contributing Sponsor
    You have an auto? Then you need to have an ato ECM.

Cranking pressure sounds fine, much better than before.

Sitting still at 2000rpm will make any car seem a little warm, but the low coolant definately could have been the culprit.

Half Throttle
    i dont know for sure if the ecm was an auto, but i do know that the grand am/beretta/corsica 3.1 all have the same part number as the manual camaros(93-95 3.4). when i called the people to order the ecm, i asked them about the beretta computer and told them it would hook right up to a camaro harness. they told me that it would work if my car was a manual. i went ahead and bought it anyway because i figured it would work.

would an olds 3.5l manifold fit in this conversion. it looks cool and can be a mini ls1 sort of thing.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Intak...Q5fAccessories

FWD car = TB pointing the wrong way, so no, it won't work.
    2007 Honda Civic EX Coupe | 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    "He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.." - Oscar Wilde
    Mah blog! (Guns!) Slamfire <- Linky

have to admit would have looked sweet

Yup, would look great with the TB pointing at the firewall... Back on topic now?
    2007 Honda Civic EX Coupe | 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    "He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.." - Oscar Wilde
    Mah blog! (Guns!) Slamfire <- Linky

Contributing Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by GT Jon View Post
    FWD car = TB pointing the wrong way, so no, it won't work.

Actually that manifold wouldn't even be close to working period, it's from a DOHC 3.5, not the pushrod 3500.

The 3500 pushrod manifold (lx9) comes in the FWD cars facing the TB, yes, but the 60* manifolds are mirror images and can be turned either direction, that's how we are able to use them.

3500 in stock form...

And then we turn the LIM and UIM around...

Louie, welcome, but Jon is right though, wrong place to post it

thanx my bad. anywho i so wanna get my project started just looking up info

Ok, that expalins it.

any clue if this guy is still around? i'd like to get his megasquirt fuel maps from him as a starting point because my build is somewhat similar... F_F, are you still in contact with him?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast