Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 63

Thread: 3500 top end feedback and info

  1. #1
    Half Throttle
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Portales, NM
    Posts
    475

    3500 top end feedback and info

    i just wanted to let everyone know about the 3500 top end i purchased from 60degreeinclusive.i purchased this top end back in july. i bought it for a reasonable price.i put this on my 95 camaro and it bolted right up to the 3.4 shortblock. i had all the major parts to do the swap.

    setup: 3.4/3500 hybrid, comp cams custom grind 110/110/229/229(.512 lift), ls6 yellow valve springs,megasquirt for tuning. Rk sport headers made for camaro. 11.5 compression.

    john(forced firebird) has been a great help with this project and i thank him for that. i have wanted to do this hybrid thing for the past year. i was going to do the 3.4/3400 with 3400 pistons, then my plans went downhill. i didnt know how to change pistons so i almost gave up, until i remembered the 3500 top ends that john was selling.

    thanks to john for the 3500 kit and making this possible without changing pistons. thanks to fast355 on thirdgen.org for helping me choose the right cam. thanks to wayne for helping me out with megasquirt.

    i currently need some spark tables off a 3100, 3400, or even a 3500 would be great. right now, i am using wayne's spark tables that were used on the iron head 3.4 with around 5 degrees taken off the whole table to be safe.

    if anyone has any questions, comments, or advice, feel free to let me know.

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2
    Half Throttle sixbanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    365
    so how long til' you get this bad boy running???? and are you planning on maybe a write up?
    1993 Chevrolet Camaro 3.4L V6 stock

  4. #3
    Contributing Sponsor
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    WOT-Tech Florida
    Posts
    6,822
    Quote Originally Posted by sixbanger View Post
    so how long til' you get this bad boy running???? and are you planning on maybe a write up?
    It's running, and strong

    We ran into a snag about a month ago where there was severe detonation after 3000RPM, and my suspicions are now confirmed "you must use a cam grind 270 or bigger for the 3.4 pistons and 3500 heads". Otherwise it's not that difficult of a swap. Several times Chris and I talked on the phone so I could walk him through the process on some items. As he mentioned, he has never taken anything on like this in the past, and am glad he didn't give up after selecting the wrong cam. Hopefully he will be able to get some hard numbers before going off to the military, but hopefully his swap will encourage you guys to get moving!

    Thanks Chris for the kind words, and keep us posted as you get the fine tuning done. A video of the speedometer while accelerating should give an indication of what I've been trying to get all the 3.4's to do

  5. #4
    Half Throttle sixbanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    365
    I'm wanting to see some results also since this seems like a promising mod. i think my only scare is the megasquirt but hopefully after more people get going on this everything will become more clear to me and others Let us know when you have some videos!
    1993 Chevrolet Camaro 3.4L V6 stock

  6. #5
    Contributing Sponsor
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    WOT-Tech Florida
    Posts
    6,822
    Quote Originally Posted by sixbanger View Post
    I'm wanting to see some results also since this seems like a promising mod. i think my only scare is the megasquirt but hopefully after more people get going on this everything will become more clear to me and others Let us know when you have some videos!
    Like we told Chris in the beginning, get the MS and tune with it 1st He might come in here and agree. One mod at a time is the better route, once you get a hold of tuning, everything else kinda "fall in place".

    Now you don't necissarily have to use MegaSquirt, GM OBD1 has been hacked quite well and is an extremely inexpensive decision

  7. #6
    Half Throttle
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Portales, NM
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by sixbanger View Post
    so how long til' you get this bad boy running???? and are you planning on maybe a write up?
    Like john said, i've actually had this car running. the first time didnt go over so well because i chose the wrong cam. Dont get me wrong, the car probably would have run off the first cam i installed(Comp 260 cam), but it would have required race fuel due to the 240 psi of cranking pressure. WAY 2 much for pump gas, as i found out. The detonation was NOT pretty. i havent checked my cranking pressure with this second cam i've installed, but i will soon because im curious. it should have around 200.
    as for the write up, that sounds like a good idea. i will try to find time to do that. There is so much to know.
    Last edited by koolcamaro; 11-17-2008 at 09:05 PM.

  8. #7
    Contributing Sponsor
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    WOT-Tech Florida
    Posts
    6,822
    Quote Originally Posted by koolcamaro View Post
    a write up doesnt seem like a bad idea, i may just do that if i find time.
    Chris, you must tell them

    It's really not as bad as it seems. Tuning is the key.

  9. #8
    Half Throttle
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Portales, NM
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by sixbanger View Post
    I'm wanting to see some results also since this seems like a promising mod. i think my only scare is the megasquirt but hopefully after more people get going on this everything will become more clear to me and others Let us know when you have some videos!
    i failed to mention, i've had this recent setup(with the big cam) running for only a few days. so far, i've had my car screaming to about 4500 rpms(im playing it safe for now). this engine setup that i have is known to pull hard all the way to 6500 rpm's(proven by Fast355).
    i will tell you this, the car has ALOT more power than stock, i just need to work a few bugs out of the tuning.

    as a note, if you rebuild your engine with 3400 pistons, you dont have to tune. i just wouldnt get a Hot cam or else youll get about 10:1 air/fuel ratio like Black34v6, which isnt good on the piston rings.

  10. #9
    Half Throttle
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Portales, NM
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
    Chris, you must tell them

    It's really not as bad as it seems. Tuning is the key.
    i definately agree. if you want to get the most of your mods, you must tune.

  11. #10
    Light Throttle geartooth94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    144
    wow, this is exciting. makes me want to do my swap more and more.

    how much clearance is there between the cowl and plenum? are you going to use the car as a DD or for racing only?

    I'd like to build mine for DD, but that requires use of A/C and I'm a tad worried about reliability with such a high comp. ratio (11.xx:1).

  12. #11
    Full Throttle Jore Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In mexico once again
    Posts
    527
    i have a 91 bird if i do this swap, how can i make the stock ecm work with it?

  13. #12
    Contributing Sponsor
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    WOT-Tech Florida
    Posts
    6,822
    Quote Originally Posted by geartooth94 View Post
    wow, this is exciting. makes me want to do my swap more and more.

    how much clearance is there between the cowl and plenum? are you going to use the car as a DD or for racing only?

    I'd like to build mine for DD, but that requires use of A/C and I'm a tad worried about reliability with such a high comp. ratio (11.xx:1).
    Very little clearance. Look for posts from Wayne (turboproject) to see what it took him to clear the cowl on a 4th gen fbod and 3500 plenum. It's much easier to use a 3400 upper manifold.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jore Knight View Post
    i have a 91 bird if i do this swap, how can i make the stock ecm work with it?
    You should have the '7730 ECM (same as mine, started in '90), so, it is a fairly easy mod for you. I've posted the wiring diagrams for both ECM's, and they match up well. Both the ICM and HEI is looking for the same signal to control timing and you just have to change a couple wires (0-5v). The rest is wide open as far as OBDI, there are many codes/masks you can use - starting as simple as using a 3400 tune, all the way to using the modified Typhoon/Cyclone code ($58 or $59) for turbocharging. The $59 has some really cool features now, like speed sensitive boost, anti-lag, autotune, 3 bar MAP support, etc..and if you add an emulator, you can even tune on the fly to burn [have burned] chips at a later time.

  14. #13
    Full Throttle Jore Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In mexico once again
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by Forced_Firebird View Post


    You should have the '7730 ECM (same as mine, started in '90), so, it is a fairly easy mod for you. I've posted the wiring diagrams for both ECM's, and they match up well. Both the ICM and HEI is looking for the same signal to control timing and you just have to change a couple wires (0-5v). The rest is wide open as far as OBDI, there are many codes/masks you can use - starting as simple as using a 3400 tune, all the way to using the modified Typhoon/Cyclone code ($58 or $59) for turbocharging. The $59 has some really cool features now, like speed sensitive boost, anti-lag, autotune, 3 bar MAP support, etc..and if you add an emulator, you can even tune on the fly to burn [have burned] chips at a later time.
    thanks!, so can i stick to the '7730 instead of getting a megasquirt?

  15. #14
    Half Throttle sixbanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by koolcamaro View Post
    as a note, if you rebuild your engine with 3400 pistons, you dont have to tune. i just wouldnt get a Hot cam or else youll get about 10:1 air/fuel ratio like Black34v6, which isnt good on the piston rings.
    ok let's back up a bit. You mean that I can slap on some 3500 heads, upper and lower manifolds, 3400 pistons, a camshaft with less duration, along with all necessary hardware to fit the 3500, and i don't have to mess with my ECM?
    1993 Chevrolet Camaro 3.4L V6 stock

  16. #15
    Lights Up Crew #1 Amagine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    2,886
    yup.. because basically your putting better heads n pistons in and not changing the compression any...
    http://www.z99.com/files/u21/lightsaber.jpg

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •