+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: L67 to RWD

L67 to RWD

Newbie here, need some help with tranny selection on a RWD conversion. I have a 3800 II SC L67 form a 2000 Grand Prix and I need to get it lashed up to an auto or stick for a hot rod project. I've been told some of the other GM V6's can be used, but have no idea from which years. Will the trannys from the last runs of Camaros or Firebirds work? I know my motor is a 60 degree engine, but not all V-6 stuff will work, eh? Can anyone point me to an old thread here on this forum or a link to a DEFINITIVE chart or list of suitable donor cars? Just about any small sized autos or manuals will work for me, including anything super new.
    Also looking for any aftermarket wiring kits that will make this a stand alone project. I have all the OEM looms from my donor car, but prefer to reduce the mass of wires if I can.

Thanx in advance as they say. Gary

PS... project car is a "Phantom" 27 Ford pickup cab that I just got. It will have a bed in a few weeks and the whole deal is planned to weigh only 2000 lbs. The L67 will be stock, that will be more than enough, eh? Here is a mock-up photo or two.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Contributing Sponsor
    Your engine is a 90*, but uses the GM "Small Corperate Pattern" AKA "Metric Pattern".

You would be best suited using a transmission from a 3800 Fbody the same year as the ECM.

Are you going to be tuning/tweaking it?

Welcome to the site

John,
    90 degrees? Jeez, everyone has been telling me 60. Sure is small for a 90. Anyway... other than the same year Camaro / Firebird, any other "metric" trannys work? Thanx, Gary

The camaro/firebird is really the only one that'll fit. They switched bolt patterns for the seriesII 3800's and the only car that got a manual trans for them are the camaro/firebirds. The problem is those t5 trans's are weak as crap. A stock l67 would give them a run for their money. If you really want to shell out the cash a company on here sells a converted t56(6spd) trans from a z28 good for 700hp that you can bolt up. It runs around $2100 though...about the same price as a built t5.
    99 Firebird - ls1 swapped
    00 s-10 - 4.3 waiting to explode
    96 f150 - 4.9 already asploded

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    The camaro/firebird is really the only one that'll fit. They switched bolt patterns for the seriesII 3800's and the only car that got a manual trans for them are the camaro/firebirds. The problem is those t5 trans's are weak as crap. A stock l67 would give them a run for their money. If you really want to shell out the cash a company on here sells a converted t56(6spd) trans from a z28 good for 700hp that you can bolt up. It runs around $2100 though...about the same price as a built t5.

I forgot to add last time that I don't plan to hot rod the motor any. Just getting it lashed up and fit will be work enough. What about automatics? Same donor cars? Are any of the new GM motors, say from RWD caddys or blazer types workable? Do they have the small pattern.

New question... Holden or similar (any of the newer Pontiacs) intakes. I need to get my throttle body turned around 135-150 degrees and pointed forward. Idears? Thanx, Gary

PS gotta sign off for the eve... yak at you all tomorrow. Gary

Contributing Sponsor
    The vacuum modulated 700r4 from a 82-92 FBody 2.8/3.1L will work if the ECM is tuned for a manual trans. Otherwise for ease, use an Fbody auto from the same year of the donor car ('00)

All 3800's are 90* motors with the small pattern. Only the older 3.8's had the small block pattern.

Grimm's right the t5's are fairly weak.

The T5's are a bit weak, but can be built to hold pretty good. When the auto's out of the firebird/camaro are built up, they can be pretty strong. These are probably our best 2 options.

Constantly Overachieving Merlin's Avatar
    I dont know of any newer pontiac that have a forward facing intake, but for your setup the holden supercharger would be fine. Good luck on getting one though
    Justin

GMC Sierra 2008
    Yamaha V-Star 1100 2003

For more information about the L67 swap into an F-body, please click here

Cretaceous and aggravated lo_jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gnichols View Post
    I forgot to add last time that I don't plan to hot rod the motor any. Just getting it lashed up and fit will be work enough. What about automatics? Same donor cars? Are any of the new GM motors, say from RWD caddys or blazer types workable? Do they have the small pattern.

New question... Holden or similar (any of the newer Pontiacs) intakes. I need to get my throttle body turned around 135-150 degrees and pointed forward. Idears? Thanx, Gary

PS gotta sign off for the eve... yak at you all tomorrow. Gary
    A GM engineer recently told me the T8 RWD trans was built originally for a free flowing 5 liter Northstar that never happened, and is therefore overbuilt. I looked at this once and I believe the Northstar pattern is not quite like a 3800SII/III but might be workable. I'd have to look again - maybe we made a thread about that once. I could swear I researched that some.

That is likely to run much more than 2100, and with no guarantee on fitment.
    Scavenging your broken dreams.

99 Firebird 3.8 M5 TTop
    79 Ramcharger 5.2 M4 Vert
    01 X5 3.0 M5

DSC07521aW600.jpg

DSC07532aW.jpgGang,
    Sorry for the delay getting back. In the good news department, a 4L60(?) from a late model Camaro V6 dropped out of the sky as a freebie yesterday, so it would seem my transmission choice is a done deal. The only thing we haven't checked is the bolt pattern on the torque converters / flex plates but it looks good. Thanx for all your inputs. I'm sure there will be more, from headers to who knows what. I'm going to try to insert a couple of photos again... so you can see where the L67 is going. Later, Gary

Contributing Sponsor
    Gary! Nice project

I worked on a guy's house a while back that was making metal struts fo an older truck, similar to yours. The struts and body braces were to replace wooden ones, is that a wood-framed body (so to speak)?

Quote Originally Posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
    Gary! Nice project
    Thanx...
    The body is all glass, it is a new "phantom" body - sort of a 27 Ford but the cab is extended and chopped. The frame is a modified Model A Ford frame. The only other parts I have are headlights, a 34 Ford truck grille and the 3800 / tranny. I will get the bed in a few weeks, a steel repro Model A. Next up is to get the front end fit icw the motor / trans mounts. The rear of the frame will be completed after we get the bed and figure out what can go where. Gary
    Attached Images

Contributing Sponsor
    Ah so it's a "glassy" even better.

Sounds like you are going to have a nice looking performer for not a whole lot of cash dumped in. That coupled with low weight/ride height, maybe a little elbow grease will make a show stopper.

Sometimes wish I had time for a project like that. A 3500-powered mid-engine Volkswagen Beetle glassy would scream

Please keep us updated on the project.

Quote Originally Posted by gnichols View Post
    Thanx...
    The body is all glass, it is a new "phantom" body - sort of a 27 Ford but the cab is extended and chopped. The frame is a modified Model A Ford frame. The only other parts I have are headlights, a 34 Ford truck grille and the 3800 / tranny. I will get the bed in a few weeks, a steel repro Model A. Next up is to get the front end fit icw the motor / trans mounts. The rear of the frame will be completed after we get the bed and figure out what can go where. Gary
    That is so cool. I wish i had the money for a project like that. What exactly are your goals? For a car...thing that weighs in at probably under 3000lbs, an l67 should be a crapload of fun. Are you going to use an american m90, or try and find an aussie one?

Quote Originally Posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
    A 3500-powered mid-engine Volkswagen Beetle glassy would scream
    Dude! I want to build up an old school beetle air cooled engine like you wouldn't believe. My boss used to play with them when he worked in his dad's machine shop way back when(like late 60's).
    99 Firebird - ls1 swapped
    00 s-10 - 4.3 waiting to explode
    96 f150 - 4.9 already asploded

Gents,
    The plan is to keep this project below 2000 lbs, so that is why no hot rodding is planned. In the mean time, I'm taking all inputs for stuff like, headers / header kits, a shallower / wider oil pan, elbows to turn the SC input around say 180 degrees so I can remount the throttle body over the driver's side valve cover and the intake straight forward of that; etc, etc... one more pix... and signing off for the evening. Later, Gary
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast