Thread: In over my head (reviving my car)

Unhappy In over my head (reviving my car)

So today I went out to start working on my car. The car has been sitting for about 3 years and hasnt been started in over 2. I stop driving it a while back because I was having a mis-fire and several other things that I needed to do to it.
    The last repair I had to do on the car was replace a bad lifter. Swapped the lifters, rod, springs, etc... Put the car together, and it ran fine for a while. Then I started to get a Misfire in Cylinder's 1 + 2. Never really figured out why but sat the car anyways.
    Now today the car is in horrible shape. I took off the PS valve cover and everything is caked in a nice milky brown, and what seemed like watered down fuel. I also pulled out the first spark plug on the PS and the same milky brown oil started to leak from there. So now I know I will have to go a lot deeper into the engine then I originally planned.
    I will be going out to check out my radiator fluid, taking off my DS valve cover and plugs to see if I find any more issues. I never took the heads off, only the TB, Upper Manifold, and valve covers. The car only had ~65k on it when I parked it.
    What I am looking for is some advice on where I should start looking for causes / failures / etc... I will get some pictures to show the extent of the problem.
    1998 Silver Camaro - Stage 3 clutch, 3.42 LSD, 1 piece Alum DS, Pacesetter Headers, TSP rumbler, CAI and more in the garage.
    2008 YZF R6 - Exhaust, Power Commander 3, pretty plastic pieces....
    1999 Ford Expedition Beater

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If you have water in your oil, and its been sitting like that for 2-3 years, you may be looking into a complete rebuild, which sucks if it only had 65k on it.

Full Throttle Extreme! projectmaro's Avatar
    i personally would just rebuild the block sittin for two years it and has that build it the block needs torn down and cleaned and if you are gonna do that you might as well rebuid it cuz sittin that long gaskets probably have failed also
    MARC

pacesetter headers, tsp exhaust, gutted cat, slp cold air intake, ngk tr55 plugs 2 12" volfenhags and 2 bazooka 750 watt amps jensen interiors and an alpine in the dash

slowly but surely gonna get there

Yeah, this was the unfortunate thought process that I was having too. Looks like I need to get a little more organized before I start that process. Well, if I am going to go that deep I might as well grab a cam while I am at it.
    Only good news about this is I get to get some more toys I guess.
    1998 Silver Camaro - Stage 3 clutch, 3.42 LSD, 1 piece Alum DS, Pacesetter Headers, TSP rumbler, CAI and more in the garage.

Full Throttle Extreme! projectmaro's Avatar
    yea throw a cam and a nice valvetrain at her since ur gonna have to tear it down
    MARC

pacesetter headers, tsp exhaust, gutted cat, slp cold air intake, ngk tr55 plugs 2 12" volfenhags and 2 bazooka 750 watt amps jensen interiors and an alpine in the dash

slowly but surely gonna get there

Well I already have some better Lifters, Rods, springs, retainers, etc. installed or sitting on the shelves waiting to be installed. I think I even have all the gaskets in order to tear it down to the heads. Just gonna need a little more time then I planned on I guess.

Well today I started tearing down the rest of the engine. Got the Valve Covers off, TB, Fuel Rail, and working on the upper manifold. I plan to take it down to the heads and see how things look from there. Are their any special tools I may need other than a valve spring compressor, air compressor, and torque wrench? Gonna make a run to sears later so let me know if their is anything else I may/will need.

Why do you need a valvespring compressor?
    99 Firebird - ls1 swapped
    00 s-10 - 4.3 waiting to explode
    96 f150 - 4.9 already asploded

Need to make sure the keepers and seals on them are still good. Considering oil has gotten pretty much everywhere, I figured I would check them also.

Highly doubt anything has happened to bottom end within 65k. Only thing I would do is replace your head gaskets, get new valve seals, seats, and retainers.

Then put her back together and try and start it. If the car ever overheated then take the heads to a machine shop to make sure that they are still flat so they can seal to the block.

Well this is upsetting, I can't find my Chilton's or Hayne's manuals anywhere. So I had to go back out and buy the Hayne's but couldn't find the Chilton's anywhere. And it looks like the PDF files in the FAQ are gone, I can't get any of the links to work.

What you needing to know?

I am figuring everything out as I go, nothing I cant really get around. I just remember Chilton's being a little more specific about the order you should pull stuff, move stuff outta the way, etc. Thanks

what year is it? for the right price i will come take it off your hands

It definitely is not for sale. I will just take longer that I expected to get it fixed.