Thread: shift quality

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

shift quality

What does a normal shift in an auto feel like? From what I feel, the shifts arent quick at all or that firm. When I force the car to downshift, it seems to hesitate.
    '98 Mystic Firebird Y87 - SOLD 8/31/08

'08 Ford Mustang V6 - dumped X-pipe with no mufflers, GT rear bumper

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by TheSHOgun08 View Post
    What does a normal shift in an auto feel like? From what I feel, the shifts arent quick at all or that firm. When I force the car to downshift, it seems to hesitate.
    Stock the shifts are absolutely terrible. The 4R70W was built for comfort not performance.

I've bought a Transgo Manual Valve Body Shift Kit and drilled it to j-mod specifications for increased firmness. The transmission only shifts when I tell it to. That plus upping the shift firmness 25% makes an incredible shift firmness. At WOT on the street, I spin the "tire" from 1-2, sometimes spin D but I mostly just chirp and I chirp going into O/D.

To add to it, I'll be getting a B&M Hammer Shifter and a higher stall torque converter to really get the most power out of the transmission.

Oh and if you decide to tune the car with a custom tune, don't be surprised if you feel the torque converter switching over to try to put more power down at WOT. With my car, I have a little bit of lag in the RPM's when I'm at WOT around 3k RPM's because the stock converter sucks...
    1999 Roush Stage II - B#3115 - 1 of 1 DGS

Now for the magical question.... Will a shift kit void my warranty?

Maybe a sticky should be made with some info for future members who are going to complain about this same problem.
    Last edited by TheSHOgun08; 09-05-2008 at 05:11 AM.
    '98 Mystic Firebird Y87 - SOLD 8/31/08

'08 Ford Mustang V6 - dumped X-pipe with no mufflers, GT rear bumper

Quote Originally Posted by TheSHOgun08 View Post
    Now for the magical question.... Will a shift kit void my warranty?

Maybe a sticky should be made with some info for future members who are going to complain about this same problem.

hmm, it will probably void the warranty on your transmission but that's about it... That's why I'll probably never buy a new car lol.

A sticky will be made soon enough, I'm still trying to put together a whole bunch of stickies, I just got the basic bolt-on one's done..

i got the sct x3 and it helps the shift, chirps into second.. exc.. but for some reason at WOT it wont shift but if i let out of it just a hair it'll shift fine... anyone know whats wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by jonsv6stang View Post
    i got the sct x3 and it helps the shift, chirps into second.. exc.. but for some reason at WOT it wont shift but if i let out of it just a hair it'll shift fine... anyone know whats wrong?
    chances are you're not going all the way to the transmission's shift point. It WILL shift, just at a higher RPM than you probably feel is comfortable. The reason why it's shifting differently when you're not at WOT is because that's what the computer acknowledges, that you're not at full throttle so it doesn't need to go up to a higher rpm.

Bleeds Shiner Bock tcrocker162000's Avatar
    if your worried about the warrenty, i would leave the car alone until its out of warrenty just about anything voids warrentys
    (R.I.P.) 1999 white Firebird, 3800 series II Auto : Vic tune, Pacesetter short headers, 3.08 gears, Rebuilt engine (.010" bored pistons, #105 comp cam springs, stainless steel valves,Polished Heads, 110 LSA .517" lift custom grind Cam, ARP hardware), Corsa Muffler, Hooker Header Tips, WS6 polished aluminum wheels, Toyo Proxies (death wish)

They quit using the 4r70 in 04 in the mustangs the 05- 09 uses the 5r55w trans best to use a programer on that one there no dip stick and theres only 2 company making kits for them that reqire pump removal the kits work nice but should be installed while the trans is apart the 5455 kits doesnt help shift firmess much either

in a 4r70 i just remove the bottom acculuator spring in the 1-2 and the spring in the 2-3 and drill the tcc feed in the early models