Thread: Add some basic info about diffs, tranny's, gears, etc...

Add some basic info about diffs, tranny's, gears, etc...

Just trying to build the knowlege base still. I want to start to get some basic info in hear. For instance how well does the 5 speed hold up under power compared to the auto (on the F-body's the M5 likes to blow up)? What gear ratio's are available and what have you had good luck with? What are the differential options, do you guys have a Torsen available or just Clutch type and Lockers? Is there a cheap upgrade for the drive shaft like the V6 fbody has in pulling an aluminum shaft off a V8 car? Lets get some things moving.
    John, 1999 Isuzu Vehicross Ironman Edition
    No more F-Bodies after 15 years of nothing else

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Tpunk View Post
    Just trying to build the knowlege base still. I want to start to get some basic info in hear. For instance how well does the 5 speed hold up under power compared to the auto (on the F-body's the M5 likes to blow up)? What gear ratio's are available and what have you had good luck with? What are the differential options, do you guys have a Torsen available or just Clutch type and Lockers? Is there a cheap upgrade for the drive shaft like the V6 fbody has in pulling an aluminum shaft off a V8 car? Lets get some things moving.
    Don't you worry 'bout a thing masta. I'll have this forum filled to the brims with info by the end of the night.

BTW, for the f-body's it's much simpler to make information about a transmission, the mustang uses over 5 different transmissions in a 10 year life span (94-04)

T-5, T-5Z, T-45, Tremec 3550, Tremec 3650, T-56, and the 4R70W
    1999 Roush Stage II - B#3115 - 1 of 1 DGS

F-body's have at least 3 in the 4th gen's alone.
    97 CAMARO RS
    SLP CAI, LE1 Aluminum DS, Hotchkis STB, Pacesetter Headers, Magnaflow High-Flow Cat, Magnaflow 3" Cat-back, Z28 rear, Tuned by PCMforless

four, don't forget the 4L60/700R4 in the 93 (sorry for the jack).

My hat goes off to Ford, its a ballzy move to be changing things around so much from year to year like they do - but without that kind of experimentation nothing would ever improve.
    ~Ryan~

A4, Z28 Catback, 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Cutout, PCMforLess tune, 3.42 Z/T
    As of now, its a 3350 lb paperweight.

Your 4.0L guy
    We have good 5-speeds in the new ones. The big problem with the new setup is that the the transmission sits waaay too far forward in the chassis (the back of the tranny is around your knees). So in order to have a manual, there has to be a link running from the shifter to the tranny (see picture below). Day to day, this isnt a problem, but under hard acceleration when the motor and tranny torque, 3rd gear gets mis-aligned and finding it takes some time. I have a true-trac in my rear end, I didnt want to deal with clutches. Oh, another weak link in the S-197's, the driveshaft is a two-piece steel thing that likes to whip at high speeds (above 115). Ive seen DS's come apart on the dyno before, and its not pretty.

This is the shifter, the bar going to the upper right is going to the tranny

this is where the shifter connects to the tranny

Wat? A 2 piece DS? Did they not look at the utter fail the 2 piece was in the early V6 4th gen F-body's? Do the GT's come with a 1 piece that could be swapped in?
    John, 1999 Isuzu Vehicross Ironman Edition
    No more F-Bodies after 15 years of nothing else

GT has a one piece. Rather it could be swapped in or not I dunno - Fords are weird about swapping things even if you would totally think it would work.
    ~Ryan~

A4, Z28 Catback, 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Cutout, PCMforLess tune, 3.42 Z/T
    As of now, its a 3350 lb paperweight.

Your 4.0L guy
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSlowL36 View Post
    GT has a one piece. Rather it could be swapped in or not I dunno - Fords are weird about swapping things even if you would totally think it would work.
    Im pretty sure it wont work, lengths would be different.