Thread: Circle Track Engine Swap

Circle Track Engine Swap

I have a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix which I Circle Track Race. It has the Gen II, 3.1L V-6 motor.

We have been getting beat pretty regularly over the last 2 years, but it was a good safe beginners car and I didn't mind so much.

We put together a 2nd Grand Prix, which had the 3100 MPI motor.. and with the help of folks here, we were able to mod that motor enough to make it a 1st place car !

But the driver of that car has really matured and we are ready for two fast cars.. not to mention.. the competition has gotten a lot faster. 3.5L Dodge Intrepids, Ford Taurus SHOs, Chevy Lumina GTZs..

So the question becomes.. what is the optimal thing I can do to make this 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix scoot !

Switch to a 3400 ? a 3500 ?? a 3800 ?? maybe swap in a 3.9L ???

What do you guys think.. off from a 90 W-Body Grand Prix what is the best bang for the buck we can make.

Remember.. Circle Track.. not Drag racing. No Turbos, No Super Chargers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Constantly Overachieving Merlin's Avatar
    im glad that we helped you guys get in the spot you needed to be in.

on the talk of what engine next, i would go for a 3400. they seem cheap and easy to access at the moment.
    Justin

GMC Sierra 2008
    Yamaha V-Star 1100 2003

For more information about the L67 swap into an F-body, please click here

Isn't the 3400 DOHC motor very unreliable ?

Or are you talking about the 3400 out of like a mini-van ?

the 3400 are in alot of other cars besides the mini vans. one that comes to mind is a 2001ish monte carlo ls
    2001 Buick Regal GS-Black
    cat delete-FWI

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP-Silvermist Coupe
    S&S headers-FWI-3.4-180*stat

To do list-inlet & outlet ported, outside fully polished, intercooler, LS1 t/b

If you look up the Brunton Stalker (Lotus 7 inspired chassis), they commonly use the 3400 on their cars. The Brunton Super Stalker is an L67 Supercharged 3800, and evil as all get out.

And congrats on the WIN!
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_DAD View Post
    the 3400 are in alot of other cars besides the mini vans. one that comes to mind is a 2001ish monte carlo ls
    Is the 3500 the same motor ? Is the 3400 better ??

Is there a good guide for swapping ?

3500 is much better from what i understand. aside from displacement, the intake/heads flow alot better from what i understand
    2001 Buick Regal GS-Black
    cat delete-FWI

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP-Silvermist Coupe
    S&S headers-FWI-3.4-180*stat

To do list-inlet & outlet ported, outside fully polished, intercooler, LS1 t/b

I'm hearing that the 3400 can go in without changing the wiring harness, uses the same motor mounts as the 3.1 and is basically plug and play.

There is a rear motor mount bracket which is needed and can be purchased over the counter and the next generation tranny is recommended... but I'm wondering if its needed for Circle Track.