Thread: So, who's been to Vandenberg AFB and how is it?

So, who's been to Vandenberg AFB and how is it?

I'll be headed out californey-way here in about a year and a half. I just hopes they gots some internet out there.

I'll be stationed out there for the beginning of my Space and Missile training and whatever else they're going to keep me for. I pulled it up on google earth and saw that it's in SoCal and near the beach. Isn't the water cold as hell in CA, or is that just up north? Is it near any major city aside from being 100+ miles from LA?

If you've been there, just fill me in on what's around there and what it's like. I've never been out west, so I'm curious.
    Garage Pet :: '02 SOM WS-6 T/A: intake, Hooker headers, 3.5" cat-back with dual cutouts, skip shift elem. 345 rwhp, <40K miles
    My Daily :: '11 F-150 FX4 SCREW in Sterling Grey: Ecoboost, 20" FX4 rims, N-Fab Step bars, stock Nav and Sync, all of the other stock goodies

Men have been taught that the highest virtue is not to achieve, but to give. Yet, one cannot give that which has not been created...The need of the creator comes before the need of any possible beneficiary.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Didnt I say you'd probably go to Vandenburg? lol

Dude, I've heard nothing but good things about Vandenburg. Its a damn nice area.
    2014 ZL1 Camaro M6
    1997 RS Camaro A4 (for sale!)
    2012 Ford F-150 FX4
    2009 Kawasaki KX450F

The water in Southern Cali is fine, Its just Northern that is cold.
    1998 Silver Camaro - Stage 3 clutch, 3.42 LSD, 1 piece Alum DS, Pacesetter Headers, TSP rumbler, CAI and more in the garage.
    2008 YZF R6 - Exhaust, Power Commander 3, pretty plastic pieces....
    1999 Ford Expedition Beater

Indeed you did. Who's looking forward to stupid high gas? <--this guy. Fuck. I average 20mpg on the highway in the 8. We don't talk about city mileage.
    Garage Pet :: '02 SOM WS-6 T/A: intake, Hooker headers, 3.5" cat-back with dual cutouts, skip shift elem. 345 rwhp, <40K miles
    My Daily :: '11 F-150 FX4 SCREW in Sterling Grey: Ecoboost, 20" FX4 rims, N-Fab Step bars, stock Nav and Sync, all of the other stock goodies

Men have been taught that the highest virtue is not to achieve, but to give. Yet, one cannot give that which has not been created...The need of the creator comes before the need of any possible beneficiary.

its nice here, Ive been here for about a month now. I go to school here. In santa Barbara, ca (its about 80) miles north of LA. up 101.
    -Jonathan-

Supercharged///260 Rwhp 285 Rwtq flickr
    Automotive Photography

Offical FTV6 Troll andrew.brandon's Avatar
    its an air force base. it will be nice period.
    2014 Toyota Tacoma 4.0L V6
    2013 Harley Davidson Iron 883
    2006 Pontiac GTO 6.0L, 6 Speed, Blue on Blue SOLD
    1995 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L V6 SOLD

Jonathan, thanks for the encouraging words. I'm looking forward to getting my EAD date now.

Andy, very true. Base quality wasn't really my question though. I was wondering more about the surrounding area than on-base life. The A/F does have it good though.

Your 4.0L guy
    Dude, Vandyland is where its at!!! I went there for tech school and loved every minute of it. The base is HUGE (98,000 acres), I recommend spending a day or two driving around looking for old SLCs (space launch centers) and the Minuteman/Peacekeeper silos. The silos line the beach on the north base, the old SLCs are inland more. South base has most of the newer SLCs where the Deltas and Titans launch from. The beach is nice, but its closed like half the year because the snowy plover nests on the beach. Nice golf course if thats your thing. The ORV course was closed due to a UXO that was found (back in the day, VAFB was Camp Cook, and used for artillery training and stuff). Friday night, all my tech school buddies and I went to San Luis Obispo to go clubbing at The Grad. Then Saturday night we drove down to Santa Barbera to hit up the IV (Isla Vista, where all the frats and sororities are for UCSB, freakin crazy) and the hookah bars. I dream at night of going back

Your 4.0L guy
    Quote Originally Posted by silversixx View Post
    its nice here, Ive been here for about a month now. I go to school here. In santa Barbara, ca (its about 80) miles north of LA. up 101.
    What are you there for? Minutemen? ALCM? 1CSux? Missileer?

What do you think of Malmstrom? Being a S&M officer (hehe), it's possible I'll be there down the road. I'm just trying to gather as much as possible while I wait to commission.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    What are you there for? Minutemen? ALCM? 1CSux? Missileer?
    He's up there for photography school.
    99 Firebird - ls1 swapped
    00 s-10 - 4.3 waiting to explode
    96 f150 - 4.9 already asploded

Your 4.0L guy
    Quote Originally Posted by cody6766 View Post
    What do you think of Malmstrom? Being a S&M officer (hehe), it's possible I'll be there down the road. I'm just trying to gather as much as possible while I wait to commission.
    I like it. Kinda small, Great Falls doesnt have much to offer. But its the best base out of the 3 by far.