Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Abbott review: Extremly unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    For some reason, i don't forsee this thread going well....
    Agreed, I do beleive though with Lance having a full time job now it might be alittle hard on Keith to do all the jobs that come in professionally. I am not saying they rushed the motor together just to get to the next one but rather stating that with Lance not being there all the time now it could be a little stressful on Keith. Just a thought. I don't know the full story on BOTH sides so I will shut up.
    Larry:
    1996 camaro- Ole Blue. the very very very long time consuming project car
    1997 camaro- VIPER- turbov6camaro, search the forum for more info
    1979 Mustang Cobra - dad passed and left it to me, gonna be a clean street/strip car
    2014 Silverado CCSB 4x4 LTZ diamond white. Daily driver

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

dont ask
    as Ross has already mentioned once if your not involved butt out.
    some of the comments in this thread are clearly ment to take the thread in a direction that may get it locked down.
    which in turn would be unfair to the OP and his problems to where it needed to be brought out into the public eye for scrutiny(sp?).

these unfair tactics/games by a few that have no actual experience or knowledge of the issues at hand are not thread topic related or warrant any posting period
    stay out of it, let the customer and vendor work it out, even if it has to be in the public eye to get any resolution.

i think this thread is need of a clean up from the jibberish posted.
    Last edited by usd2sing; 04-15-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Contributing Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
    can't check tolerances anymore, most of the bearing(s) is shredded on the oil filter

I have quite a bit of tuning experience, LS1s and V6, and I can say this car was very very conservative. It was on race fuel with 11.0 AFR on the street, no KR at all. Besides, KR will usually blow pistons before they damage bearings. Bearing failures are almost always related to clearances, oiling system, or general wear. Since we ruled out the latter two items, the first one stays in my mind.
    Ahh, true.

I have had bearing failure from detonation --- twice

I guess I'm under the assumption that the engine would be all forged, therefore thrwing the piston failure out of the pic. Besides, I crushed a bearing and severly damaged another (differnt occasions), both times with stock cast pistons, they lived. It sounded like a cannon going off, lmao. I thought for sure a rod was bent/broke, but they also checked out (forged).

My earlier statement was geared towars both sides of the situation, you have to uderstand that no matter what kind of experience you have, the shop does not recognize that once the motor leaves their facility. I have no idea how they test there, but you did bring it to their attention that there was an oiling issue.

I just hop we can keep this thread on a civil basis, and am curious of the outcome.

I agree with the admins, we can "chat" in Gen Discussion...

Quote Originally Posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
    Ahh, true.

I have had bearing failure from detonation --- twice

I guess I'm under the assumption that the engine would be all forged, therefore thrwing the piston failure out of the pic. Besides, I crushed a bearing and severly damaged another (differnt occasions), both times with stock cast pistons, they lived. It sounded like a cannon going off, lmao. I thought for sure a rod was bent/broke, but they also checked out (forged).

My earlier statement was geared towars both sides of the situation, you have to uderstand that no matter what kind of experience you have, the shop does not recognize that once the motor leaves their facility. I have no idea how they test there, but you did bring it to their attention that there was an oiling issue.
    agreed, did not say it was impossible, just alot less likely.

Forged pistons will still come apart. Just hold up longer then cast under bad circumstances.

Either way, a shop that we can trust is going to rework the shortblock and we'll pick up the pieces from there.
    94 Turbo Firebird V6 - H/C LS1 Swap
    99 Trans Am 427ci -Twin 76s - Jan 09 GMHTP
    04 Viper - Paxton/Corsa/slam

the thing that gets me is you documented the high oil pressure issue and they chose to do nothing about it really, i dont mean to take sides or anything just stating that it was documented before any real use, NOT TAKING SIDES, really interested in the outcome of this

76 Camaro Rally Sport-355/TH350- Soon to be LT1/TH350 with a little laughing gas to wake it up...
    89 Ram D350 CTD/M5- 1 Ton Dually getting 27 MPG's

dude that thing was a beast! sorry to hear all this maybe you guys will come to an agreement.

2002 Camaro V6 m5 - slightly modded - don't underestimate
    1994 Dodge Dakota m5 - 251 rwhp 9.1 @ 78mph 1/8
    2005 Dodge SRT-4 ACR - Wicked 4 banger
    2008 Yamaha R6 - few mods still slow
    1989 Yota mini truck - Daily Driver

Where is Lance?

I dont see them just dicking you like this. After reading the whole post there seems to be things missing in the story.

Really? Fram filter? Why? That is just plain stupid. I have seem many Fram filters be the cause of a zero oil pressure situation and trash a motor.

Abbott has been great to me.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LNorton View Post
    Where is Lance?

I dont see them just dicking you like this. After reading the whole post there seems to be things missing in the story.

Really? Fram filter? Why? That is just plain stupid. I have seem many Fram filters be the cause of a zero oil pressure situation and trash a motor.

Abbott has been great to me.
    Care to explain what's missing?

As for the filter, Everything from oil to filter was talked about. He wanted me to run a 4.2L filter (a little larger) but it got too close to the turbo thus the fram filter was put back in. Nothing on this engine was used without talking to them first. I was asked to run shell deisel oil at one point, I did. It did not improve the situation. So we went back to mobil one fully synthetic 50W15.

Again, I had Lance's cell phone number and we talked about everything that was going on and in the engine. There were numerous times we talked over weekends, what to do, how to do it, ect... They knew everything before I did it. The last thing I wanted to happen was for me to run something they do not suggest and it causes a problem. We were extremly carefull on everything. Nothing happened without me calling Lance to make sure we did as they wanted. It was to the point where I felt like I was being a pest calling him so much, but we needed to know so I called.....

The problem was not too little oil pressure, it was too much.
    So what else is missing and what else can I clear up for you?

Look here all,

I'm not posting this to drag anyone in the mud. This is my exprience with Abbott. I am simply dissapointed with the amount of frustration that has gone on from the begining. I feel I have been more than fair with everything that has gone on with the entire situation. I did not publicly slam them for the issues I had before. This really is the 4th issue with this entire situation. Based on the phone conversation on Monday, it appeared I was the one who was to pay in the end, yet again. I personnaly believe they can build awsome engines. Do I feel they messed up on mine, yes, multiple times. Are they owning up to what I feel is their mistake, no. Do I feel like finding out if they are going to make me pay for their mistake, no.

The amount of publicity I get now couppled with some great things on the horizon (which I will not let the cat out of the bag), I would think Abbott would have wanted their name as my engine builder. I am not going to take care of someone who does not take care of me.....
    Last edited by Linxs; 04-16-2008 at 07:48 AM.
    Patrick
    10 factory five GTM 1097 RWHP
    03 Audi A4 1.8T (my DD)
    07 Z71 4x4 Silver Avalanche LT3 (wife's DD) Intake/exhaust and tuned!
    97 Mystic Teal Camaro (retired) Click for Mods 649RWHP

It moves !!!!
    I had a problem with my motor to only it was WAY different.

Last year after the 11.78 run i'm sure most remember my post. turns out the #3 intake runner got a hole in it and it was dumping water into the motor, witch is why i had oil and water everywhere

i finally found the leak one day messing around with the lower intake off.....

I called up lance an shipped the head back, in about 2-3 weeks i had a new stage 3 head flow match to match my other head sitting at my door.

Lance also told me to pull that piston to check it out because of the water, and to check the rod out, when i did the bearing was fucked; like out of shape fucked. so i checked the others and they was okay but you could tell they had seen water....

lance shipped me a new set of rod bearings free.

so far everything is good but i really haven't pushed the motor yet. it is at 13 psi and 12* of timing with 11.0ish AFR (rich for my car)

i usually run 16-20* timing about 18 psi and 11.8ish AFR

my 7.39 run was on 16 psi 16* timing and 11.8 AFR
    www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall
    [email protected] 1/8 -1.8x sixty
    [email protected] unk 1/4 - 7.197 1/8 - 1.83 sixty
    Call me Viper

Cretaceous and aggravated lo_jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboV6Camaro View Post
    I had a problem with my motor to only it was WAY different.

Last year after the 11.78 run i'm sure most remember my post. turns out the #3 intake runner got a hole in it and it was dumping water into the motor, witch is why i had oil and water everywhere

i finally found the leak one day messing around with the lower intake off.....

I called up lance an shipped the head back, in about 2-3 weeks i had a new stage 3 head flow match to match my other head sitting at my door.

Lance also told me to pull that piston to check it out because of the water, and to check the rod out, when i did the bearing was fucked; like out of shape fucked. so i checked the others and they was okay but you could tell they had seen water....

lance shipped me a new set of rod bearings free.

so far everything is good but i really haven't pushed the motor yet. it is at 13 psi and 12* of timing with 11.0ish AFR (rich for my car)

i usually run 16-20* timing about 18 psi and 11.8ish AFR

my 7.39 run was on 16 psi 16* timing and 11.8 AFR
    I do remember that quite well actually.
    06 Jetta 2.5 M5
    99 Firebird 3.8 M5
    01 X5 3.0 M5

That sucks. I had a simular incident.

I'm not sure if anyone ever knew why my car never came about. I was one of the first ones to get a set of heads from ARH a couple years ago. After I put the heads on the car always had a mysterious tick from the moment I first start it, I could never track down. I had changed out nearly the entire valve train trying to chace it down. After six months I just thought it was noisey valvetrain. Before a race one night I was warming up my tires and the car died while doing a burn out. I tried to start it back up but it sounded like a jack hammer. I pulled it apart and it had broken a valve off and hammered it up into the head. Ruining my motor and the $1300 heads I had just bought. It probaly seized a valve for some reason. Either from incorrect clearance or maybe the problem ZZP had. The iron guides created to much heat and could cause the valve to seize.

After doing research I found that ZZP had this same problem during the initial testing of their 3.8L heads. The problems they had were when using iron valve guides, which I beleive are what mine had. Using bronze guides was suppose to fix that problem.

They offered to fix the head, it was pretty fubar'ed up. To much for me to want to stick back on my motor though. I think they should have sent me a new head but thats just me.

I've never personally met keith or Lance. Lance and I used to talk alot threw the net. They both seem like great people to me. But I had real problems with their products. I never said anything about my problem because I liked both of them. So I'll let my story out of the bag too. I never got anything in return from them other than my fucked up heads, I parted my motor out after this happened.
    Last edited by Jordan; 04-16-2008 at 12:56 PM.

TrickFlow/Moser/NX/Forged346/Rossler th350/UMI/F14HL

So here's what was found. 2 of the cam bearings had spun (oil holes were no longer lined up). #3 bearing spun and pictured below. We could not get the mains off...

I'll have to get the crank polished and maybe a new cam.

Patrick
    10 factory five GTM 1097 RWHP
    03 Audi A4 1.8T (my DD)
    07 Z71 4x4 Silver Avalanche LT3 (wife's DD) Intake/exhaust and tuned!
    97 Mystic Teal Camaro (retired) Click for Mods 649RWHP

It moves !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Linxs View Post
    So here's what was found. 2 of the cam bearings had spun (oil holes were no longer lined up). #3 bearing spun and pictured below. We could not get the mains off...

I'll have to get the crank polished and maybe a new cam.

that is excaly what my #3 looked like when i tooke it out, but i think mine was from all the oil/water in the bang room all others looked fine

in fact it was stuck on the crank when i took off the cap when i finally got it the little f'er shot off and hit me in the face...
    Last edited by TurboV6Camaro; 04-20-2008 at 07:31 PM.
    www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall
    [email protected] 1/8 -1.8x sixty
    [email protected] unk 1/4 - 7.197 1/8 - 1.83 sixty
    Call me Viper

bad bearing - good bearing

also 3 other cylinders had partially spun bearings, only 2 were ok.

the gold plated oil pan looked nice too.
    Last edited by Tiago; 04-20-2008 at 07:35 PM.
    94 Turbo Firebird V6 - H/C LS1 Swap
    99 Trans Am 427ci -Twin 76s - Jan 09 GMHTP
    04 Viper - Paxton/Corsa/slam

dont ask
    you had ARP mains correct?
    Last edited by usd2sing; 04-20-2008 at 08:04 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast