Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 64

Thread: Abbott review: Extremly unhappy

  1. #16
    To beat TurboV6Camaro Linxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Katy, Texas, USA
    Posts
    4,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
    Even though it's a "hot rod" engine, you did explain the application of the motor, correct?

    In their shoes, I could see them suspecting detonation. Would it void their "warranty" to remove the caps and plastiguage/mic the tolerances?


    Yes the application was explained. I wanted to build the nastiest boosted engine out there. I wanted the record on HP as well as the track record.

    I'm still running less than stock timing, 109 fuel. We have not pushed the engine yet. We turned up the boost (only made it to 18 LBs) on the dyno and maxed out the injectors. We called it quits after that. I scheduled the dyno for 4 hours, we used one. We backed the boost down to drive it home.

    At no point during any of our tuning did we ever see KR, We always tuned it fat to make sure we did not have issues.


    Quote Originally Posted by chadder View Post
    I'm a pretty naturally skeptical person, so I'm going avoid jumping on any bandwagons because I would like to hear the other side of the story. It's not that I don't believe Pat, it's just I believe it's unfair to base an honest opinion without having both sides.

    Your turn Lance.
    I can respect that. However, there is no emotion in the post I put up. I simply stated the facts. If Lance does post, I seriously doubt he'll dissagree with the history of this engine....
    Last edited by Linxs; 04-15-2008 at 06:07 AM.
    Patrick
    10 factory five GTM 1097 RWHP
    03 Audi A4 1.8T (my DD)
    07 Z71 4x4 Silver Avalanche LT3 (wife's DD) Intake/exhaust and tuned!
    97 Mystic Teal Camaro (retired) Click for Mods 649RWHP

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #17
    Full Throttle Extreme! FloydSummerOf68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Missouri City, Texas, USA
    Posts
    24,012
    I'm sorry to haer your motor is down pat...I know you've been waiting a while to get it going.
    Shawn
    '11 CTS-V Coupe
    '12 SRT8 Charger
    V6 Firebird - 12.2 on 100 shot and 13.5 Cam only - GONE

  4. #18
    Full Throttle Extreme! hawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    17,811
    I'm sorry to hear about this Patrick and hope it can get resolved somehow someway.

    Until then, people who have had no experience with this... please avoid jumping on a bandwagon to bash someone else. Honestly, we don't need to hear your opinions on the matter. What you think of the situation really doesn't matter much when push comes to shove... so lets leave those comments out of here. Thanks.
    2008 5.3 A4 Chevrolet Avalanche
    2006 6.0 A4 Quicksilver Metallic GTO
    1999 3.8 A4 Bright Silver Metallic Firebird - Sold

  5. #19
    Full Throttle Extreme! Grimm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    23,891
    Sorry bossman.

    Then i will add for the record, when i worked with Abbott on getting my heads redone about a year or so back, lance was very helpful and the work was done and the heads sent back within a few days. The heads looked great and i never had another problem with them.

  6. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
    Even though it's a "hot rod" engine, you did explain the application of the motor, correct?

    In their shoes, I could see them suspecting detonation. Would it void their "warranty" to remove the caps and plastiguage/mic the tolerances?

    can't check tolerances anymore, most of the bearing(s) is shredded on the oil filter

    I have quite a bit of tuning experience, LS1s and V6, and I can say this car was very very conservative. It was on race fuel with 11.0 AFR on the street, no KR at all. Besides, KR will usually blow pistons before they damage bearings. Bearing failures are almost always related to clearances, oiling system, or general wear. Since we ruled out the latter two items, the first one stays in my mind.
    Last edited by Tiago; 04-15-2008 at 07:55 AM.
    94 Turbo Firebird V6 - H/C LS1 Swap
    99 Trans Am 427ci -Twin 76s - Jan 09 GMHTP
    04 Viper - Paxton/Corsa/slam

  7. #21
    Full Throttle Extreme! hawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    17,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    Sorry bossman.

    Then i will add for the record, when i worked with Abbott on getting my heads redone about a year or so back, lance was very helpful and the work was done and the heads sent back within a few days. The heads looked great and i never had another problem with them.
    No problem, I just think it would be better served for Patrick to state facts about his situation, like he has done, and not have a bunch of people without any experience with Abbott pile on and attack them... thats not fair to them.
    2008 5.3 A4 Chevrolet Avalanche
    2006 6.0 A4 Quicksilver Metallic GTO
    1999 3.8 A4 Bright Silver Metallic Firebird - Sold

  8. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    854
    I knew it was none of my experience when I posted. I just said from a customer service standpoint, thats unfair considering these guys told them of the issue that eventually lead to failure and they assured them verything was fine. Considering I was going to be going to them shortly for a custom grind cam, I surely don't want to see myself in the same position.

  9. #23
    Full Throttle Extreme! Grimm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    23,891
    ^
    They don't grind the cam though. Comp Cams does. They just spec it and sell it.

  10. #24
    Full Throttle Extreme! hawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    17,811
    Quote Originally Posted by kinetsudragon View Post
    I knew it was none of my experience when I posted. I just said from a customer service standpoint, thats unfair considering these guys told them of the issue that eventually lead to failure and they assured them verything was fine. Considering I was going to be going to them shortly for a custom grind cam, I surely don't want to see myself in the same position.
    There are numerous people running Abbott cams without any problems whatsoever. They don't grind the cams there anyway, they're comp cams. You're free to choose where you want to take your business, but make sure you look at the whole spectrum instead of just one case... that might or might not be unrelated.

    I'm not picking sides here, just trying to stay neutral and keep this from becoming a "bash a sponsor because everyone else is" thread.
    2008 5.3 A4 Chevrolet Avalanche
    2006 6.0 A4 Quicksilver Metallic GTO
    1999 3.8 A4 Bright Silver Metallic Firebird - Sold

  11. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    854
    Oh believe me, I'm still basically neutral, I'm just very leary so to speak when someone who seemingly does a good amount of business with them pretty much gets stiffed. I agree, I should look at more than just one case but after hearing other people have had issues that were resolved easily and intently and now this. Just doesn't sit well. I believe in treating every customer the same. If they can't solve his problem, how could they solve mine if one occurs? that's my frame of mind.

  12. #26
    Full Throttle Extreme! pontiacfreak142's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    pataskala, ohio
    Posts
    2,081
    Quote Originally Posted by kinetsudragon View Post
    Oh believe me, I'm still basically neutral, I'm just very leary so to speak when someone who seemingly does a good amount of business with them pretty much gets stiffed. I agree, I should look at more than just one case but after hearing other people have had issues that were resolved easily and intently and now this. Just doesn't sit well. I believe in treating every customer the same. If they can't solve his problem, how could they solve mine if one occurs? that's my frame of mind.

    i agree with ya, but at the same time, like hawgs mentioned, im one of the people running the abbott cam, and TC. both got to my house in good time, and i even had a problem with orignal TC i got, but was handled with no problems. the only problem ive had was with the lifters.
    1996 pontiac firebird 3.8 - 13.6 @ 98
    2000 pontiac bonneville 3.8 - 16.79 @ 84
    1995 olds 88 3.8 - no times yet

    No i am not obsessed with 3800's

  13. #27
    Squirt Director Seppo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,377
    fram oil filter... problem identified

    Seriously though, that sucks. But really, 99 cent cardboard oil filter on a race engine?



    No trying to be a dick, but...

    Any race engine builder that fixed every customers engine for free a year later (example timeframe) would not be in business very long. So you have to look at it from a shop's point of view.

    But I'm not saying they shouldn't be willing to look at it, and if it is something they did when building the engine work with you at least some.

    Just my 2 cents.
    Keith
    "I was plum surprised."

    99 Camaro - sold
    99 TA and 2005 GMC Canyon

  14. #28
    My state is better. jmorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    2,392
    Bearings should not just go out if the engine is built correctly, and there is no way a filter caused the problem he has in less then 1k miles. If he blew a piston through the block I dont think he would ask Abott what the deal was, everyone would say it was the power or tune on the car. But the bearings look to be not clearanced right from the start. That motor would not of lasted even if it was NA. Sounds like it was put together wrong from the beginning, nothing Pat did caused this, this is why Abott should step up as any competent engine builder should if they stand behind their work. Obviously they don't.
    2008 G8 GT
    Magnetic Gray Metallic

  15. #29
    Full Throttle Extreme! Grimm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    23,891
    For some reason, i don't forsee this thread going well....

  16. #30
    It moves !!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    St Louis, Mo
    Posts
    13,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Seppo View Post
    fram oil filter... problem identified

    Seriously though, that sucks. But really, 99 cent cardboard oil filter on a race engine?



    No trying to be a dick, but...

    Any race engine builder that fixed every customers engine for free a year later (example timeframe) would not be in business very long. So you have to look at it from a shop's point of view.

    But I'm not saying they shouldn't be willing to look at it, and if it is something they did when building the engine work with you at least some.

    Just my 2 cents.
    i use cheap filter until my tuning is done........
    www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall
    [email protected] 1/8 -1.8x sixty
    [email protected] unk 1/4 - 7.197 1/8 - 1.83 sixty
    Call me Viper

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •