Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Abbott review: Extremly unhappy

Abbott review: Extremly unhappy

Here are the facts, draw your own conclusions....

Where do I start….. Last year I contacted Abbot Racing Heads to do a killer build for me. I basically said I want to build the nastiest boosted V6 Fbody out their. So we started talking back and forth lining out what needs to be done. We settle on a build and they got started. I got the first engine and for a week Tiago and I messed with trying to get oil pressure. I called abbott a couple of times and they would tell me “try this” and “try that” I even put a spare cover and oil pump I had laying around. Never worked. Finally I got them to agree to take a look at it but I had to pay for the freight. I said fine and sent it back up to them.

I get a call a few days later saying nothing was wrong. All the bearings were fine blaaa blaaa blaaa….. I said well it has to be something keep looking. I get a call the next day “we found it! It was the front cover” Now I’m thinking, hmmm, I changed the front cover and oil pump, o well maybe it was bad too. I was just happy something was found (I swapped the covers back to the original one because I did not want them to say it was my fault the covers were swapped ect…). So I paid for a new front cover and they sent it back to me. I get the engine in the car and it worked! Except I had 90 PSI of oil pressure. I questioned them and they said you’ll be fine. I asked for a blue print on the bearing clearances and I was told they do not keep them. In the end, I accepted the engine builders experience and word.

I forgot to mention after getting the engine in a second time the engine leaked oil. This is from a previous post i made a long time ago after getting the second rebuild...
    Well at first turn over (on the second rebuild from Abbott) Tiago noticed the harmonic balancer was wabling A lot!
    So I called Lance and he said to try an crank it some. I did and it moved some, the wable was better but still slightly there....

I got it out of the garage! yay. But guess what, we can see oil dripping from below the harmonic balancer . I called Lance and left a msg. I basically said we were pulling off the Turbo and then we would see what's up. I guess the seal was bad.....

we pulled it off and I could see the spring for the seal. It was smashed behind the balancer. We then turned it over to see if the crank shaft was bent. It looked fine. So i go and get a new seal put it in put every thing back together and let it idle for a bit. eveything seems fine. So I drive it up th road. Good thing too, It started leaking oil. Not just a few drops either, Just like it there was a hole and it was being poured out. I get home and paker it in the driveway. I poped the hood and oil is all over the front cover ....
    I called Lance and he wants me to pull off the balancer and look at the seal again...... we'll see 1what's what tomorrow.

Got it fixed the next day after pulling the engine and then the front cover.
    Tiago and I start rough tuning (nothing erratic just drivability tuning drove it about 500 miles getting it tuned) the car and my rear end goes (really the posi unit went out). So I replace it with a mosser! While I was doing that, I had the tranny looked at to be sure it was holding the power. We found it was not, and I decided to go extreme and put in a T56. For 6 months we work out what needs to happen trying different setups and seeing what would be the best and least expensive for the V6 people just incase others want to do it as well. We finally get it done and that brings us to two weekends ago. I drive it to the dyno put it in and make a whopping 614 RWHP! Not one time during the tuning did the car get any KR. I take the car to Autos and show off my new numbers! And start my drive home (75 miles round trip). I’m content thinking how nice it is to finally have my car running and making great numbers! I noticed a loud Porsche come up on me and floor it, then back off. He did this 4 times, well finally I dropper it a gear and pulled on him like he was standing still. He quickly did a U-turn and went the other direction. I laughed but noticed a noise coming from the engine.

I decided to play it safe and go straight home and park the car. I keep it under 2K RPMS because it was audible after 2500 RPMS. I got up the next morning and started investigating. I pulled the headers, did compression checks, drained the oil (looking for bearing specs and inspected the valve train as I changed out the springs. Nothing looked out of the ordinary. Tiago did not see anything of concern either. So we continue trouble shooting. Change out the KR sensors. Finally I got a filter cutter and cut open the filter. Below are the pictures. Earlier today I talked To Abbott and I was told “it’s a hot rod engine, we are not doing anything for free. I explained the engine does not even have 1000 miles on it. I got “well you’ve had it a good while”. Needless to say I was extremely disappointed. This appears to be an obvious bearing clearance issue with the oil hitting 90 PSI (I’ve talked to a number of engine builders over the last 24 hours and they all say that pressure was way too high for a boosted application) . I also explained I paid for the first engine mistake they had, I was really looking for some good customer service and for them to take car of what appears to be another mistake. However, I was not going to pay for this one.

In the end, I think I have been overly pacient and fair about this entire ordeal. Abbott did not give me a warm and fuzzy about wanting to take care of the situation so I’ve opted to have it built here in Houston. So my car will be down for about 2 months while it’s getting rebuilt.

Edit: I forgot to mention I've changed the oil/filter 4 times since the new build (one time just because the car sat for 6 months in Six speed inc. shop)... This oil change and filter had 75 miles on it

Before I cut open the filter

After I cut open the filter

Last edited by Linxs; 04-14-2008 at 08:02 PM.
    Patrick
    10 factory five GTM 1097 RWHP
    03 Audi A4 1.8T (my DD)
    07 Z71 4x4 Silver Avalanche LT3 (wife's DD) Intake/exhaust and tuned!
    97 Mystic Teal Camaro (retired) Click for Mods 649RWHP

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

no good

its worth noting that the first engine would get oil pressure and then once it got warm the pressure woudl drop to ZERO. Even after all the voodoo they asked us to try nothing helped this. This immediately made me concerned with the bearing clearances. The engine that eventually stayed in the car was shipped back with a bad front cover seal, which was leaking very badly, yet when we fired it up, it immediately had 90-100 psi of pressure which made me think they tightened the clearances way too much. AFter figuring out the front cover was cracked and replacing it with the other cover we had previoulsy tried as well, oil pressure remained at 90 psi, confirming to me that the oil pump was not the issue to begin with. I have no insight to the measurements (blueprint) of the motor, only what I observed it do when we were tinkering with it and I drew my own conclusions.

additionally, engine had 90 psi of oil pressure at all times, it never dropped during the dyno pulls but after the "knocking" started, it STILL had 60 psi at idle. It had lost all that bearing material and still had normal pressure. I thought that was pretty crazy.
    Last edited by Tiago; 04-14-2008 at 06:56 PM.
    94 Turbo Firebird V6 - H/C LS1 Swap
    99 Trans Am 427ci -Twin 76s - Jan 09 GMHTP
    04 Viper - Paxton/Corsa/slam

Wow that sucks, especially after making those numbers. Hope that you and Abbot can work something out. Is there any kind of warrenty on the motor?
    Last edited by Sandman; 04-15-2008 at 06:07 PM.
    Justin
    00 GTP Daytona
    77 Morris Garage B
    (insert new project car here shortly)

On the one hand, i can understand them saying it's a hotrod/modded engine. However there's no way in hell it should have died in 1000 miles unless it wasn't properly assembled.

Full Throttle Extreme! 97rs4life's Avatar
    Hopefully the one they are building for me works better than that one, I am a bit nervous now.
    1997 Camaro RS with a little bit of giggle juice.
    http://www.bowtiev6.com

dont ask
    wow pat..damn.
    sorry for your issues, hope all works out ok.

btw, i almost puked when the first pic loaded up....

Full Throttle Extreme! pontiacfreak142's Avatar
    i had alot of the same problem. i bought some new "racing" lifters off of abbott a while back. those lifters cause me to blow 3 motors because they were robbing the bottom end of oil. we contacted comp about it and they said they would have no problem giving me a refund, but since i had gotten them through abbott, i had to get it from him, but he wouldnt not do so.
    1996 pontiac firebird 3.8 - 13.6 @ 98
    2000 pontiac bonneville 3.8 - 16.79 @ 84
    1995 olds 88 3.8 - no times yet

No i am not obsessed with 3800's

Dang Pat, you finally let the cat out of the bag!! I've been wondering if you ever would.
    2010 Camaro RS/SS LS3 M6 AFe cai, GMPP catback

Quote Originally Posted by Malice View Post
    Dang Pat, you finally let the cat out of the bag!! I've been wondering if you ever would.

I think I have been more than fair with the entire situation.... I like to give the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not going to get walked all over.....
    Patrick
    10 factory five GTM 1097 RWHP
    03 Audi A4 1.8T (my DD)
    07 Z71 4x4 Silver Avalanche LT3 (wife's DD) Intake/exhaust and tuned!
    97 Mystic Teal Camaro (retired) Click for Mods 649RWHP

Contributing Sponsor
    Even though it's a "hot rod" engine, you did explain the application of the motor, correct?

In their shoes, I could see them suspecting detonation. Would it void their "warranty" to remove the caps and plastiguage/mic the tolerances?

Bummer man
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

2008 G8 GT
    Magnetic Gray Metallic

Banned
    terrible customer service... after the time you spent trying to figure out and fix their mistakes, this is the end result?? wow, thats enough for me to say I'll never buy from them just for the fact of what they're doing to you.

hot rod engine or not they should stand behind their work.

Is wrong most of the time chadder's Avatar
    I'm a pretty naturally skeptical person, so I'm going avoid jumping on any bandwagons because I would like to hear the other side of the story. It's not that I don't believe Pat, it's just I believe it's unfair to base an honest opinion without having both sides.

Your turn Lance.
    Chad
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT
    1999 Chevy Corvette Coupe

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast