Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing with good handling

Playing with good handling

I can't make it out to any autox events right now, and my car isn't quite setup they way I want it yet. I can still have fun with it though.

I busted out my dusty old Gtech RR and set it up for road race mode. It records RPM, lateral G, and longitudinal G. I have been using it to take some pretty aggressive turns on my way to work and back. It's alot of fun, and not very dangerous IMHO due to the very low volume of traffic in the country woodlands of NE mississippi.

I can comfortably take curves up to .72G's, which is better than I thought. I really manned up this morning and took one at .82G's. I thought the car would lose itself at that speed, but it held on like a champ and didn't even squeal the tires. I, as a driver, am definatley the weakest link in my suspension setup.

My complete mods are:
    Bilstien HD shocks all 4 corners.
    Summit 1" lowering springs. (don't remember the spring rates)
    Poly bushings on rear supsension
    UMI xmember mounted torque arm
    35mm/25mm swaybars
    235/55/16 front snow tires
    255/50/16 rear snow tires.

Most magazines that run a skidpad test report American cars like the GTO to have peak G of about .8 or so. I'm suprised my crappy old camaro can hang .8. With really good tires I'd like to see it up to .9 or so.
    2010 Camaro RS/SS LS3 M6 AFe cai, GMPP catback

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Slap some DOT R-compound tires on it and see what it can really do.
    2007 Honda Civic EX Coupe | 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    "He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.." - Oscar Wilde
    Mah blog! (Guns!) Slamfire <- Linky

Quote Originally Posted by GS Jon View Post
    Slap some DOT R-compound tires on it and see what it can really do.
    I know. My ultimate plan is to find a set of cheap 17" wheels for some good quality street tires, like KDW's, and then use my stock 16" wheels for hoosier A6's in a 265/50/16 size for autox events.

What makes cars go fast?...................................MONEY!!!!

WHile I'm somewhat broke, I'll use the setup I have now to improve my driver confidence. The Gtech is helping my with that.

I understand completely what you're saying. Just get rid of those snow tires ASAP!

EDIT: Also, did you decide against the g-Force Sports?

Custom User Title
    That's a super aggressive swaybar combo. I'm wondering if your spring rates are high enough to be a good match for the bars.
    -Rick

Full Throttle Extreme! FloydSummerOf68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slo6 View Post
    That's a super aggressive swaybar combo. I'm wondering if your spring rates are high enough to be a good match for the bars.
    Super agressive or super awesome?
    Shawn
    '11 CTS-V Coupe
    '12 SRT8 Charger
    V6 Firebird - 12.2 on 100 shot and 13.5 Cam only - GONE

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68 View Post
    Super agressive or super awesome?
    Well I'd need him to send them to me to test before I could say for sure...

-Rick

I understand completely what you're saying. Just get rid of those snow tires ASAP!

EDIT: Also, did you decide against the g-Force Sports?
    I can't ever make up my damn mind. I found a great deal on some C5 wagon wheels from camarokid, but if I bought them, I wouldn't be able to afford tires for them for quite some time. On the other hand, if I buy the Gforce sports, I'll have decent tires that still aren't optimized for my car, and I wouldn't be able to get new rims/tires for about a year.

Yes, it is an aggressive swaybar combo. People have debated and bitched about it on this board soo much I want to gouge my eyes out. The car is a little tail happy. I like it that way. When I get new tires I will get wider rear tires to equalize it a little better. I know what I'm doing......sorta.

Please don't let this thread turn into another lecture about how I need to get a smaller rear bar. I'm soo fucking tired of hearing that.

It won't turn into one of those conversations because you're setting up the car to your preferences.

If anyone wants to continue that drama about the rear sway size, please go find the old thread.

Custom User Title
    ^If that's referred to me it's unnecessary use of firepower.
    I was simply alluding to the fact that a spring with a low rate will not be able to maximize the potential of those sways. I don't know the rates of yours so I couldn't say for sure.
    -Rick

^If that's referred to me it's unnecessary use of firepower.
    I was simply alluding to the fact that a spring with a low rate will not be able to maximize the potential of those sways. I don't know the rates of yours so I couldn't say for sure.
    Silly man. You can bring up concerns about spring rates, but I'm trying to head off some of the Zealots of the Church of Handling from espousing their message of hate against the stiffer bars.

The OP states he's made his choice, so there's no reason to debate that in this thread. That's all I'm saying and I wasn't pointing it at anyone.

Custom User Title
    Silly man. You can bring up concerns about spring rates, but I'm trying to head off some of the Zealots of the Church of Handling from espousing their message of hate against the stiffer bars.
    hhhhhokai.
    -Rick

OMG Jon, I can't believe you brought up the Church!!!!!!!!

Remember the old days when we used to have fierce religious battles against the church of automatic transmission? They were ten times worse than the church of stock rear swaybars. Shawn was the pastor of the first holy church of automatic transmission.

Me TH and you were their satanic 5speed stick gripping nemesis.

Sounds like a nice setup. I'm considering something very similar but without the springs and therefore not the same sized bars .
    ~Ryan~

A4, Z28 Catback, 3" Magnaflow cat, 3" Cutout, PCMforLess tune, 3.42 Z/T
    As of now, its a 3350 lb paperweight.

Banned
    I run a ST 35mm front sway and a 21mm rear sway also with a slp STB, I like the way it handles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast