Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retired Road racer

Retired Road racer

I have 17 years racing experience with 22 wins, 14 2nd's 5 3rd's and 4 San Francisco Regional Championships. I have a new product to help drivers of high performance cars and would like to know what questions current road racers would like answers to. I will try not to bruise the EGO to much. Please respond with questions

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

dont ask
    kewl, welcome.
    we can always use more peeps with some actual technical experience here.

again, welcome!

can i transplant your knowledge into my brain?

i wanna start road racing soon and im nervous since i wont be in a stock class.
    2001 Camaro: LS1 (SOLD)
    2010 Ford Fusion SEL
    2011 Chevy Equinox LTZ (Black Granite, two-tone leather, Nav)
    check out my old ride
    www.fquick.com/ls1dave

to new to see your posts

Quote Originally Posted by car audio dave View Post
    can i transplant your knowledge into my brain?

i wanna start road racing soon and im nervous since i wont be in a stock class.
    When and what kind of racing do you expect to do.

Your mods look expensive, but if your going to road race you are going to need many expensive piece's of safety equipment for any of the race groups that I have ever been associated with SCCA & NASA. I would recommend contacting a SCCA or NASA region and find out when the will have a HPDA event. A High Performance Driving event many times is available with out all of the safety equipment except a Helmet. HPDA events are at race tracks and do not allow passing in the corners, therefore are less dangerous and allow driver to learn how to drive under much less pressure. I guess thats about enough preaching for now.
    Last edited by traqdoc; 02-23-2008 at 07:36 PM.

It's all great info thus far!

I'm looking into starting in SCCA Solo2 GS, then eventually STX classes. Any tips for beginning racers getting into AutoX or good resources to use?
    2007 Honda Civic EX Coupe | 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    "He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.." - Oscar Wilde
    Mah blog! (Guns!) Slamfire <- Linky

Smile Solo 2

Quote Originally Posted by GS Jon View Post

I'm looking into starting in SCCA Solo2 GS, then eventually STX classes. Any tips for beginning racers getting into AutoX or good resources to use?
    I have not been active in Solo 2 autoX for quite some time. Cars need to be set up much more ridged with solid sway bars and STB strut tower braces. Solo2 driving is much more violent and choppy. Solo2 can be enjoyed from the very start without modifications. In fact I would recommend doing several autoX events before any mods are installed. Brakes would be the first place to consider improvements, in fact most stock brake systems will, with proper maintenance, will make serious improvements. All modifications should start with the brakes, more lap times can be improved with proper braking than any other system.

Smile Solo II or AutoX

Quote Originally Posted by GS Jon View Post

I think a great source for both autoX and HPDE is the corvetteforum.com
    autocross roadrace forum. They have some very good advice for research reading. Check out SCCA.org SoloII for driving tips. SCCA and NASA org also have information on track driving. Many Track organizers such as the Shelby Club have advice on driving various race tracks. Hookedondriving.com holds events in N & S Calif and North East regions. I've been a coach for 6 years with Hooked On Driving and they have a very good safety record as well as a good reputation for training novice high performance drivers, tell them that Traq Doctors sent you.
    Last edited by traqdoc; 02-27-2008 at 07:26 AM.

Responce

Quote Originally Posted by traqdoc View Post
    I have 17 years racing experience with 22 wins, 14 2nd's 5 3rd's and 4 San Francisco Regional Championships. I have a new product to help drivers of high performance cars and would like to know what questions current road racers would like answers to. I will try not to bruise the EGO to much. Please respond with questions
    I guess the Fbody group drivers have so much driving experience that 92 viewers have no questions. I really thought more people would have race track questions.

I'm running autocross in ESP, any recommendation on some quality brake pads to use with my stock brakes? Will be used on the street as well (although not as aggressively of course).

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by traqdoc View Post
    I guess the Fbody group drivers have so much driving experience that 92 viewers have no questions. I really thought more people would have race track questions.
    Unfortunately, the autocross/track community is small on this forum.
    -Rick

Smile Brake Pads

Quote Originally Posted by lubsvitek View Post
    I'm running autocross in ESP, any recommendation on some quality brake pads to use with my stock brakes? Will be used on the street as well (although not as aggressively of course).
    We have had good experiences with Hawk HPS for combo and HPS+ for track

auto-x > Drag Racing 91Firebirdv6's Avatar
    I'm going to be purchasing new tires come spring. What would you recommend? These will be going on 16in gta wheels. I run in SM for autocross.
    TJ
    For Sale & Wanted Mod
    1991 3.1L Firebird
    Too slow to care

I'll be getting some new springs and shocks in the summer for the Camaro. What spring/shock combo would you recomend? I probably going to go with eibach or hotchkis.
    Justin
    00 GTP Daytona
    77 Morris Garage B
    (insert new project car here shortly)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I'll be getting some new springs and shocks in the summer for the Camaro. What spring/shock combo would you recomend? I probably going to go with eibach or hotchkis.
    The best I can recomend is to go with the factory competition 1LE springs and single Koni adjustable including the Swaybar, assuming this for street driving also. If you are looking to lower the car, not recomended, then Eibach is a good engineered fit with single adjustable Koni front and rear.

Smile tires

Quote Originally Posted by 91Firebirdv6 View Post
    I'm going to be purchasing new tires come spring. What would you recommend? These will be going on 16in gta wheels. I run in SM for autocross.
    Tires are very hard to recomend, because we each have budget conciderations, which may not allow for the ultimate handeling. When you are ready and know what your budget is, then read reread tire viewes at Tire Rack, who I find to very honest and if you are purchasing for the track, then be sure to have them heat cure the tires for a much longer and predictable tire life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast