Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold air intake

Cold air intake

I was interested in intalling a cold air intake, but when I checked the air box found the ECU hiding in there. Guess being a noobie dont know what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mud in the hvac box again FlyinGTP's Avatar
    what kind of cold air intake are you installing?

if its open cone let me save you the time and tell you not to. you will make the car slower. gtp's are very sensitive to hot incoming air charges. and that is what you will have.

as for the pcm you can mount it many ways. you can make a tray and mount it under the intake to the old air mounting holes, some people bungee cord, ratchet strap and even Velcro it to the old air box mount spot. it all depends. some of the after market air boxes reinsert the pcm back into the box.
    Peeing in people's cheerios 24/7!
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

ahh ok, cause I wasnt sure why they would mount that in that spot kind of stupid if you ask me. I found a cold air intake set up on ebay that uses a K&N filter and heat sheild. probably will go with that.

link and or post pic.
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

YAY WE'RE DOOMED! blackhawk007one's Avatar
    The K&N is astounding. I know its not RAM air, but I've been sooo happy with mine. They dyno every model, so they can project an exact HP gain for each car.

And, you never have to replace the filter.
    What? I couldn't hear you over the sound of my awesomeness.

Can we get some ppics and Idea's about some of the custom CAI's people have? I'm not liking mine and need to figure somethigs out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Your mom was a faster ride

I prefer a Fender well intake system. You can get a PCM tray for a 98blazer and use that to secure the PCM in place.

2004 Silver Birch Metallic Sierra 2500HD
    2002 Torch Red Z06 394HP/379TQ R.I.P.
    2000 Navy Blue Metallic Trans Am H/C/I LQ4 460HP/427TQ SOLD
    1998 Dark Carmine Red Metallic Z34 [email protected] 2.06 60' SOLD

these are pic's of my FG3 air box. i built this airbox in early 2002, the design worked so well that i ran it up until 2006 when i began work on my new fg4. i built this because every other airbox on the market had lots of issues and sucked hot air. The box is double insulated, pcm is held in a tray underneath not inside of the air box. Its also completely sealed and uses three cold air feeds. The functional hood scoops, fender well and behind the front head light. The filter is a 9 inch K&N with a 4 inch diameter and 4 inch couplers. The also has provisions for the lsx style maf and iat sensor. With this airbox i never saw more then 2-4 degrees above ambient while sitting still. When moving it was very common to see as much as 10 degrees bellow ambient. On the dyno i picked 24 hp with it. I also had significantly higher hp and torque numbers across the entire curve. I also saw about a half second dive in the et from this box as well. my last fg2 box was a little bit more restrictive. As i've said before these cars are very sensative to thermal management. the colder the air coming the colder the air is coming out of the m90 meaning the more power you can make. test of my new fg 4 box have already blown this one out of the water.

these pic's were taken last summer about a month before the box was removed for the new one to be tried. The seal on the hood scoop is starting to crack some. Guess you can't expect it to last forever.

97 GTP & 00 GP GT

I have the Special Edition GTP with teh functional heat riser in the hood. I wanted to figure out how to incorporate that in with an air box. Right now I have a 4" pipe going to the fenderwell along with a K&N sealed with a piece of sheet metal. Not too thrilled with it but it's functional. I was looking at building a box this fall while I took the car a part. I figure I could either buy a a wizair or just build an identical one myself out of some sheet metal and heat shielding material. Where did you mount the IAT on the box.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by usmcz28_00 View Post
    I have the Special Edition GTP with teh functional heat riser in the hood. I wanted to figure out how to incorporate that in with an air box. Right now I have a 4" pipe going to the fenderwell along with a K&N sealed with a piece of sheet metal. Not too thrilled with it but it's functional. I was looking at building a box this fall while I took the car a part. I figure I could either buy a a wizair or just build an identical one myself out of some sheet metal and heat shielding material. Where did you mount the IAT on the box.
    i would use the heat extractors as heat extractors. my fg 4 unit is not even going to mate to the hood because the amount of cold air from that location isn't all that great its a real low pressure zone.

as for the wizair. Its a very poor copy of my fg3. it came out about a year or so after i had been selling fg3's on ebay and had pics of it posted. It uses poor tubing to the tb which falls apart in about a year. Its very thin tin which absorbs heats as opposed to the molded plastic in mine. the insulation is a joke and doesn't do much. also the pcm is still mounted in the air path. But then again i can anything bad to say about any cold air kit out there. when i built the box in my car i set out address every short coming with every kit on the market at the time. even ones that came out after it still had issues.

before you ask, no i don't sell the fg3's anymore but i do see them from time to time on ebay for sale again from people who have demodded.

whatever you do just make sure you get good cold air into the motor.
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

Damn.... Wanna make me some scematics on how to make the FG4?

I need to get around to updating my K&N kit to a better and more cooler box type or FWI. I'll play around with it on the weekend if i get time.
    Naz
    2005- Grand Prix Comp-g struts,front swaybar,GMPP rear sway bar,BMR trailing arms,zzp tower braces.
    1999- Lumina LTZ

Thanks for the offer but I like to try and build things myself. I like the guidance of others who have built similar items so i can see what worked and what didn't. I was looking at a similar design to the stok air box as far as dimensions But I was looking at a way to draw air better through the Fender well without stick an air filter in there where it will and does get wet where I am at in NY. They do not make the fender well water friendly, I have tried to block off much of it with a rubber piece inside the fender well but that still leaves the fog lamp area. As to the front head light that was another area I wanted to look at as well. The hood is functional but since it is no where near the cowl air pressure and temps won't play much of a role there either but it holds merit. I have two templates made up out of cardboard that i've been playing with before I start using some tin or thin sheet metal to make a more permanant one out of the model I like best. I've been looking at moving the IAT closer to the head lamp area to get a better temp reading of the ambient air outside once all this goes together. FlyingGTP you seem to be on quite a few forums while I research all this out, seems you know the goods so thank you for all the input.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

no problem man, if you have any questions on how to put a box together i can guide you on it. Best to start with cardboard its really easy to work with to get a template.
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

So would you be able to give some step by steps on relocating the PCM, and materials etc?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast