Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stock category....what mods??

Full Throttle Extreme! Webby092's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt View Post
    I think those 265s are a little wide for an 8 inch rim unless they run narrow. A 265 isn't going to gain anything over a solid 245 anyway.

Regarding the other mods, Tpunk hit it right off with the Koni shocks. 35mm bar is a great idea too. The differential and gears as well as the CAI put you out of stock category though. CAI could be changed back, but you already said you wouldn't do the gears and differential anyway.

I ran 265's on an 8" rim for 5 years with zero problems. BFG Radial TA's.
    Dave W.
    BOYCOTT Critical Customs LLC. They are nothing but petty thiefs!
    04 Grand Prix GT - Tinted|Tinted Tails|Comp G Seats|Thrasher CAI|Hooker Mufflers|Magnaflow Dual/Dual Tips|ZZP Tuned|5 Button Swap|ZZP F/R Strut Bars|6k HIDS|Pewter Interior Swap

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I was more talking about added weight versus a wider selection of 245s.
    Matt
    2001 Formula
    2000 Firebird - sold

FI Moderator

Tires: Wider is better, if they can perform properly on the rim width you have.

Also on tires, the Victoracer V700 is a nice tire, so is the Ecsta V710 (Basically a DOT slick). Either are legal in stock class, as are Hoosier R6's, A6's and their radial for wet tracks. Really any DOT-rated competition tire. They're "Measurable tread depth" amounts to 1 or 2 grooves going around the tire.

For an entry level tire track day tire that shouldn't be as expensive (but nearly as good) would be the Falken Azenis Sport RT615. I used the predecessor to that tire (ST215s) and was very impressed. Tirerack doesn't carry Falkens however. I got mine at Vulcantire. Check for size availability though, the 615s seem to be a little limited. You won't have to shave the Falkens. They're not AS sticky as a DOT competition tire, but ought to last longer (treadwear 200 vs treadwear 50). The Falkens are legal for classes that require "Street Tire" in most regions, which is what really makes them nice.

If you order your tires from Tirerack, they will shave and heat cycle them for you (at a reasonable fee, $15 for heat cycle, probably another $15 for shave).

Half Throttle
    The one thing bad I've heard about the 615's is that they act like race tires - they break hard and fast when you go over the limits, not nice and progressive like you'd want as a newer driver.

Quote Originally Posted by zlexiss View Post
    The one thing bad I've heard about the 615's is that they act like race tires - they break hard and fast when you go over the limits, not nice and progressive like you'd want as a newer driver.
    That doesn't surprise me really, and you're right. All of the old guys tell the new guys and first-timers to stay with a regular street tire for the first season or so so that they have that progressive "loss of grip" instead of just going from full grip to nothing.

And street tires (most of the time) will make some noise as they reach the limit, whereas a softer/better compound will be much quieter.

A year later, I'm bringing this thread back from the dead. I'm about to move to an autox happy region, and I'll be doing alot of racing. With my new mods, what class will I be in now? I can't DL the rulebook for some reason.

I have the following mods:
    CAI
    1.6RR's
    GMPP LT4 hotcam
    edelbrock headers
    catback

lowered 2"
    bilstein HD shocks
    35mm/25mm swaybars

I'm thinking of getting some BFG R1 DOT R tires. They are supposedly not quite as grippy as hoosiers, but last ALOT longer. With my experience level, I'm ok with that. I'd rather learn on a harder slick that won't wear out halfway through the season.
    2010 Camaro RS/SS LS3 M6 AFe cai, GMPP catback

I think that you would end up into SM with the cam especially. Your going to be up there so be ready.
    Justin
    00 GTP Daytona
    77 Morris Garage B
    (insert new project car here shortly)

Yep, that cam pushes you to the big boys category. SM's all out with some crazy cars where I live that's why I'm scared to cam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12