+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Let's Talk Monsoon and Speaker Replacement

I will be the first to admit that I am a bit confused with the wiring of the Monsoon system and how that might limit choices in aftermarket speakers.

I currently have two speakers that are blown and sound like ass. So much so that I cannot stand to listen to music in my car. I am currently looking at a Clarion deck and still trying to decide what to go with for the mids. I like listening to clean and clear acoustic music (IE Dave Matthews) but I also like listening to music that has some bass. I could probably get a pretty good deal on some Infinity speakers from Circuit City, but I was also considering going with some Boston Acoustics. I am also considering getting a 10" sub in a stealth box to give some bottom end to the music.

The part that I am confused with is what all I need to do/buy to make these speakers work. Would I need to rewire all of the speakers off the new headunit? Would I need to buy a new 4 channel amp to power the mid speakers? I think I would prefer to run all the speakers off the headunit if possible.

Help please.
    2008 5.3 A4 Chevrolet Avalanche
    2006 6.0 A4 Quicksilver Metallic GTO
    1999 3.8 A4 Bright Silver Metallic Firebird - Sold

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sadly, the Monsoon HU, Amp, Wiring and Speakers do lend themselves well to single piece replacement, unless you are replacing a blown speaker with a OEM speaker (I am going by what I know and have read from others, including some on this site - please correct me if I am wrong!) or some other one for one exact replacement.

The front door speakers have 2 sets of wires running to each, as the tweeters get signal off the HU itself, but the mid/bass get power from the amp behind the spare tire. This amp also powers the other speakers - the sails and rear. Most of the speakers are of the 2 ohm variety, so replacing the with aftermarket 4 ohm drivers will result in lower SPL unless the aftermarkets are significantly more efficient than the OEMs.

Replacing just the amp will require several amps these will probably not fit in the area currently occupied by the OEM amp. Also, wiring adapter harnesses will prove a nightmare, as will the fact that (again) the high end of the front door speakers is being drien by the HU.

Oh, and running all your speakers off an aftermarket HU may or nor make you very happy. The built in HU amps will not deliver anywhere near the sound quality or quantity that external amps will.

Its a mess, adding a SW+amp is pretty straight forward on our cars, even adding an auxillary pair of speakers is pretty easy, but once you are talking about replacing HU, amp, or speakers (except for rear), you may as well start thinking about doing all of them, and running new wires. Happy Birthday (did you get my present Ross?) !!

I suggest some AM talk radio, and save your pennies till you can swap out all the components. Just my $.02

Yes I did get your present OZ... quite humorous.

I have been listening to AM talk radio for over a year now and I like it... but its even starting to pop during ads and such. Very annoying. I have some money together... I think its time to fix this problem and make my car more enjoyable to drive again.

for the 6.5's , I replaced the OEM monsoon ones with the JL 6w0-4's. they sound better actually than the stock OEM 2-ohm speakers did. they are a tight fit, but they work, and they sound great. I bought mine from a local Tweeter store... about $80 each.

We replaced Jeffrey's with some that he found a wiring guide for online. The door speakers are a pain in the ass and requiered resoldering them and hooking them up in a different fashion so that they worked with the stock monsoon, but they turned out good and sound nice. I know he just switched out the ones behind the door too. Get him to chime in.

Cp
    |CP|
    '00 Camaro L36/M5/Strobes/Boost - TURBO BUILD PICS
    '05 Sierra Ext Cab - Family Hauler
    '00 Mustang Vert - Commuter
    "I can't carry a pen, I'm always afraid I'll puncture my scrotum"

Cannibal God
    ahhhh fucking monsoon. I took off my door panel to replace 2 blown speakers when i discovered the wonders of monsoon wiring. my 97 camaro i jsut unplugged the stock speakers and replaced them. I wasted like 30 mins removing and putting that door panel and putting it back on with no new speakers

I am almost thinking this would be easier, since I plan on replacing the headunit as well, to just buy an amp and rerun wires to the speakers from the amp. Wonder how many new sqweaks I can create by tearing my interior all to peices.

Quote Originally Posted by hawgs
    I am almost thinking this would be easier, since I plan on replacing the headunit as well, to just buy an amp and rerun wires to the speakers from the amp. Wonder how many new sqweaks I can create by tearing my interior all to peices.
    yes, it would be much easier, and much better to buy an aftermarket amp and use it. the stock monsoon amp has very high noise levels, so not only will the install be easier with an aftermarket amp, but you'll have a better, cleaner sound.

For the sake of discussion (might be a stupid question)...

Our cars have basically 6 speakers (Monsoon says 10 but thats crap)... 6.5's with components in the doors, 6.5's in the sail panels, and 4" in the rear. How would one hook this up to a 4 channel amp? Run 2 sets of speakers off 1 channel?

Cannibal God

Our cars have basically 6 speakers (Monsoon says 10 but thats crap)... 6.5's with components in the doors, 6.5's in the sail panels, and 4" in the rear. How would one hook this up to a 4 channel amp? Run 2 sets of speakers off 1 channel?
    not my conv monsoon, all it has is 4 speakers and a head unit. I dont have a amp or anything else. On my next day off im jsut going to rip apart the inside and rewire the new speaker all into my new cd deck

most people do not use the 4" speakers once they go to an aftermarket system. the 4" speakers are for rear fill anyway. Some people like them I guess, but most don't. So with 4 speakers and the 4 channel amp, it's easy to hook up. I wouldn't hook up 2 sets of speakers to 1 amp channel though no matter what unless those speakers are all identical and it doesn't load the amp too much causing possible heat issues.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: quarterstock
    that's about right. you'd ditch the rearmost speakers and run a 4x amp to power the components. Infinity or BA? That's top of the line.... for circuit city.
    Matt M
    Used to be down with the Sixxness
    2007 fully-loaded Z51 C6

I am looking at Boston Acoustic S60s and SL65s. Don't know what amp yet. Gotta talk to some people to see if that might be changed to Infinity's or not.

Full Throttle Extreme! 1970judge's Avatar
    i replaced the ones in my bird with jsut some oem's..and it sounded pretty kick ass..
    Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
    "First thing I'll do is call Comp and tell them to grind me a CC306 for the LS2"

Sorry to resurrect this thread...

There are 10 speakers in the Firebird system Ross... but at any rate you needed to have read this:
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105043

Camaro here:
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126979

Actually, everyone with a Firebird and Monsoon needs to read that. There is also a Camaro one.
    Matt
    2001 Formula
    2000 Firebird - sold

FI Moderator

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast