Thread: Autocrossing with an automatic

Autocrossing with an automatic

Have any of you guys AutoX'ed your auto car? I've only done it with manuals, is there any tricks to it? Pardon my stupidity
    Gregg

1991 Z28 1LE M5 (stock)
    1994 Camaro Sport Coupe M5 (too many mods to list)
    2000 Z28 A4-SLP STB,Bellows,CAI-UMI Panhard-Lakewood LCA-NGK TR-55-Taylor 409-QMP Lid-K & N-
    B & M 24K TC mounted ~dope_old_camaro-BMR boxed SFC's-Edelbrock TA-LG DSL-Bilstein HD's-ST 35mm front SB- 1LE 21mm rear SB
    http://www.1le.net

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

it would depend on the course really...if there arent many decent strait aways you might be able to get away with plopping it in 2nd gear...otherwise just throw it in 3rd...if you have tuning software you could make a decent program for the shifting so you'll always be in/downshift to the right gear.
    Bill | PCM Mod
    Customer Support for HPTuners
    00 GTP with lots of tuning

Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    it would depend on the course really...if there arent many decent strait aways you might be able to get away with plopping it in 2nd gear...otherwise just throw it in 3rd...if you have tuning software you could make a decent program for the shifting so you'll always be in/downshift to the right gear.
    Thanks for the info. I think experience and experimenting will be the teacher
    Gregg

1991 Z28 1LE M5 (stock)
    1994 Camaro Sport Coupe M5 (too many mods to list)
    2000 Z28 A4-SLP STB,Bellows,CAI-UMI Panhard-Lakewood LCA-NGK TR-55-Taylor 409-QMP Lid-K & N-
    B & M 24K TC mounted ~dope_old_camaro-BMR boxed SFC's-Edelbrock TA-LG DSL-Bilstein HD's-ST 35mm front SB- 1LE 21mm rear SB
    http://www.1le.net

I would imagine leaving it in 2nd or 3rd gear would be ideal depending on the track. sounds like it would be killer on your transmission though.

Quote Originally Posted by 95Firebird
    I would imagine leaving it in 2nd or 3rd gear would be ideal depending on the track. sounds like it would be killer on your transmission though.
    not really, autoX tracts usually avoid the straightaways and are more of slolom and s-turn oriented. leaving it in 2nd/3rd should be fine.

tranny wont last long, thats for sure

1999 NBM Z28 -- SOLD bests: 10.51/129.8mph/1.51 60'
    2012 white diamond Acadia Denali, 2009.5 G8 GT, 03 GMC Sierra Z71, '98 GP GT

Stream of Consciousness Poster
    going downhill fast ?

you know how hard that is on the front wheels?
    the front wheels take the most abuse because they gotta stop the car and the heavy ass engine under the hood.

Stream of Consciousness Poster
    using your tranny to slow down is bad
    you could throw a rod straight through your hood or break tranny
    "makes baby jesus cry"

Full Throttle Extreme! 1970judge's Avatar
    If its stock your trans and brakes definatly wont like it. My guess is if your going to run it hard yoll have brake fade after liek 2 laps.
    Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
    "First thing I'll do is call Comp and tell them to grind me a CC306 for the LS2"

Tootsie rolls and fairy f RancidCamaro's Avatar
    DarkEcho autox'd his auto firebird with no problems. He's mostly just got suspension mods.
    Tom | Appearance Modifications/Wheels & Tires Moderator