Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: headers.

Full Throttle Extreme!

headers.

goin in today, tomorrow, or maybe next week. what all do i need to put 'em in right? so far we got headers.. check. y-pipe.. check. pacesetters' box of nuts and bolts... check. header gaskets- on the list. penetrating lube (haha).. check. jack stands.. check. friends to help out.. check.
    1998 Mystic Teal V6 A4 *RIP 1/23/03 - 7/5/2007* Best E.T: 13.8 W/100 Shot, 3.42 & intake/exhaust.
    2000 Black WS6 T/A A4 *7/13/07 - * Finally modded and run: [email protected], lid w/paper filter, HPTuners, electric cutout on the y-pipe. New Mods - MAFless

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

case of beer?

Full Throttle Extreme! FloydSummerOf68's Avatar
    Wratcheting wrenches will make your life much much easier.
    And a good pair of gloves, because your knuckles WILL get cut.
    Shawn
    '11 CTS-V Coupe
    '12 SRT8 Charger
    V6 Firebird - 12.2 on 100 shot and 13.5 Cam only - GONE

A downdraft fan, it's getting toasty here in Texas.

Nothing more annoying than doing some work and having sweat rolling down your crack like the Niagra
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

Dont forget a breaker bar of some sort... One should be used for every job done.
    1998 Silver Camaro - Headers, TSP Rumbler, LSD 3.42 gears, Bilstein Shocks, Springs, 32/19 Sways, Hurst Shifter/Short throw, Stage 2 clutch...

Full Throttle Extreme! FloydSummerOf68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam98V6 View Post
    Dont forget a breaker bar of some sort... One should be used for every job done.
    I've never needed to use a breaker bar and my car is pretty heavily modded...you certainly don't need one for a header install of all things.

Putting too much force in the wrong direction is how you're going to break bots off in your head from those manifolds.
    Shawn
    '11 CTS-V Coupe
    '12 SRT8 Charger
    V6 Firebird - 12.2 on 100 shot and 13.5 Cam only - GONE

dont ask
    hack saw or sawsall to cut the stock ypipe.

3in ID to 3in OD exhaust adapter may be needed also depending on your cat and cat pipe.
    1-2 3in exh clamps (temporarily holds y and cat pipe together.

an old o2 sensor or bung plug to cap the open bung in the new pacesetter ypipe.

do u remember me showing you "my all time favorite tool"?
    13mm ratcheting end wrench.
    this is one tool that will make your project ALOT easier.

if your still running the egr,
    remove the egr mounting brkt from the head after disconnecting it from the stock exh mani.
    then install the stock egr tube to the header, tighten it up.
    then reinstall the egr back onto the head.
    this is the only way i found it to work without splitting the flexible tube.

pull the oil dipstick tube out and reinstall it after the header is in place, makes things a little easier to work with and around.

removing spark plugs isnt necessary, but its better to remove them than taking a chance at breaking one.

pay attention to the steering shaft, some people have had issues with clearance.
    i usually just remove it and reinstall it after the header is on. (11mm headed bolts. its lock tighted from the facotry to it takes a little effort)

Spray down all the bolts with some PB-Blast the night before to makethings easier on you. Also have a pair of vice grips around in case you break a stud. Other than that it's been pretty well explained.
    John, 1999 Isuzu Vehicross Ironman Edition
    No more F-Bodies after 15 years of nothing else

Also save yourself alot of time down the road and get some fel-pro gaskets with some high temp silicone. The gaskets pacesetter gives your are crap. Mine burned out in a week.
    Justin
    00 GTP Daytona
    77 Morris Garage B
    (insert new project car here shortly)

dont ask
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Also save yourself alot of time down the road and get some fel-pro gaskets with some high temp silicone. The gaskets pacesetter gives your are crap. Mine burned out in a week.

not a good idea. at least on our 3.8's

gm factory,
    abbott,

the best 2 options out there

Ouch I still remember my knuckles gettin all cut up form not having any gloves. I left some blood on my CIA headers, lol.

Good luck wiht the install man. Its probably a 6 out of 10 install so its not real hard, but it can be tideous. You will love it after you get it all finished and I hope you have better luck with exahsut leaks unlike a lot of us on here. No big deal but they are to be expected when puting on headers.
    -01 Y87 Firebird/ Gt cam, GM 3.73's - 206rwhp/200rwtq swapped LS1/80e G5x3 cam, Edge 3400 - 375rwhp/344rwtq
    -03 Arrival Blue Chevy Silverado SS 6.0 - all boltons and some xtras
    http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...9595C240-1.jpg

www.cardomain.com/id/firehawknwv

going to the darkside :(
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawknwv View Post
    Ouch I still remember my knuckles gettin all cut up form not having any gloves. I left some blood on my CIA headers, lol.

Good luck wiht the install man. Its probably a 6 out of 10 install so its not real hard, but it can be tideous. You will love it after you get it all finished and I hope you have better luck with exahsut leaks unlike a lot of us on here. No big deal but they are to be expected when puting on headers.
    i dont know what a real exhaust sounds like no more
    [email protected]

Forged 347, UMI, Patriot, F.A.S.T 92/92, Performabuilt
    SOLD

Y is that Chet?
    -01 Y87 Firebird/ Gt cam, GM 3.73's - 206rwhp/200rwtq swapped LS1/80e G5x3 cam, Edge 3400 - 375rwhp/344rwtq
    -03 Arrival Blue Chevy Silverado SS 6.0 - all boltons and some xtras
    http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...9595C240-1.jpg

www.cardomain.com/id/firehawknwv

Full Throttle Extreme!
    yeah, got most of the studs out tonight. didn't work much on it, i'm going to have to make a somewhat precise cut tomorrow in order to be able to reuse the exhaust system i currently have.. but it shouldn't be too much of a hassle. i have a buddy helping who really knows what's going on and i'm pretty much made out of patience so hopefully i won't need too much luck. thanks for all the support guys.
    1998 Mystic Teal V6 A4 *RIP 1/23/03 - 7/5/2007* Best E.T: 13.8 W/100 Shot, 3.42 & intake/exhaust.
    2000 Black WS6 T/A A4 *7/13/07 - * Finally modded and run: [email protected], lid w/paper filter, HPTuners, electric cutout on the y-pipe. New Mods - MAFless

Chet has about the worst set of pacesetter headers that have ever been purchased. His apparently leaks like a son of a bitch.
    John, 1999 Isuzu Vehicross Ironman Edition
    No more F-Bodies after 15 years of nothing else

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast