+ Reply to Thread

How to adjust ohms

I have the Memphis Prd 1000.1 mono amp and this may be a dumb question, but how do I hook it up to get 2 ohms, 4oms? There is only one set of neg and pos for the sub.
    K&N Fipk, SS hood, Pacesetter headers, 3 in. magnaflow catback, magnaflow high flow cat, 160 degree thermostat, Bilstein Hd's, Eibach Prokit springs, Msd 8.5 wire's, ngk plugs, ZR1 replica's 275/40/17

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but on a SVC sub, the only possible resistance is that of what the speaker currently has, unless you add an in-line resistor to add resistance.

what is the impedance of the sub you're hooking up?

with a single voice coil sub you cannot alter the ohm load the amp sees unless you wire another sub into the mix. To do that, or if you had a DVC sub you would change your wireing on the subs' terminals.

Example:
    you have a 4 ohm dual voice coil sub...one sub with 2x 4ohm coils
    one wire from the amp with a positive and negative
    Parallel wireing = 2 ohm final load on the amp
    take the positive from the amp and split it and run a wire to positive#1 and positive#2. Same is done with the negative.

Serries wireing, 8ohm final load at the amp
    Take your positive wire from the amp and run it to the positive #1 on the sub. Run another wire from negative#1 to positive#2, then from negative #2 to the amp's negative. This will give a 'christmas light chain' type set up.

adding extra coils in the circut can work if you can find one that will handle the power. The problem here is you will be burning up the power to that coil strictly as heat. Basically, an amp will make 500w at 8 ohms and 1000w at 4 ohms. If you wire an 8ohm sub parallel to an 8 ohm coil the amp will make 1000w, but 500w will be wasted in the coil and 500 will go to the other sub. Basically it will do nothing for you and run your amp hotter.
    Garage Pet :: '02 SOM WS-6 T/A: intake, Hooker headers, 3.5" cat-back with dual cutouts, skip shift elem. 345 rwhp, <40K miles
    My Daily :: '11 F-150 FX4 SCREW in Sterling Grey: Ecoboost, 20" FX4 rims, N-Fab Step bars, stock Nav and Sync, all of the other stock goodies

Men have been taught that the highest virtue is not to achieve, but to give. Yet, one cannot give that which has not been created...The need of the creator comes before the need of any possible beneficiary.

Like explained above, there is nothing you can do with the impedence if you have one sub. Thats why they make dual voice, so that even a setup with a single subwoofer will have a greater range of configuration.

Rockford Fosgate's website has a really useful calculator that will give you all the available wiring schematics for your configuration. Its a really good tool, give it a try.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp

MR. JAN 08 FTV6 CALENDAR
    just get 2 subs then bridge it.

You go like this:

and say "oooooooohm..... ooooooooooooooooooooooohm....."
    and whatever ohm load you want, the stereo gods will answer...
    2013 Lexus GS350 F Sport | 2009 G8 GT (traded) | 1995 3.4L Firebird (sold)

Thanks
    K&N Fipk, SS hood, Pacesetter headers, 3 in. magnaflow catback, magnaflow high flow cat, 160 degree thermostat, Bilstein Hd's, Eibach Prokit springs, Msd 8.5 wire's, ngk plugs, ZR1 replica's 275/40/17

+ Reply to Thread