+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DHP power tuner

DHP power tuner

Is anyone using a DHP Power Tuner?

I hear that it has better support than HP tuners for the V-6 crowd. Looking to tune my alero, camaro and grand prix which it should be able to all of the above for cheaper than HP tuners garbage.

Any imput???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MrSmasho
    I wouldn't call HPtuners garbage. I have a DHP and after the initial learning curve it's not bad. I haven't experience HPtuners so I can't really pass judgment. HPtuners doesn't have as many bugs and I believe the interface is more user friendly. But thats what they made updates for right.
    2004 Silver Birch Metallic Sierra 2500HD
    2002 Torch Red Z06 394HP/379TQ R.I.P.
    2000 Navy Blue Metallic Trans Am H/C/I LQ4 460HP/427TQ SOLD
    1998 Dark Carmine Red Metallic Z34 13.18@104.6 2.06 60' SOLD

Light Throttle
    i have a powrtuner, the support community is nice but most of the guys on there are 3800 tuners.

there is a fairly small circle of us 3400 owners.

that being said, everyone is quite helpful and i would recomend DHP to anyone.
    Modded out 00 Alero
    Stock box 99 GAGT (wife's car)

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: funkz
    That would be great if one of them would retro-engineer for the ODB-I engines.
    Zahn
    2000 GrandAm GT
    1994 Firebird SOLD

Light Throttle Silenceinfullcolor's Avatar
    Alright, i'm completely lost on this DHP thing. Someone explain , please?
    Dustin

2001 Trans Am M6 - Not Stock
    1994 Blazer - Beater

Gamer IDs

It's like the HP Tuners software... allows you to edit the parameters in your stock PCM from a laptop connected to the ODB port.

Unfortunately they both only work on ODB-II.
    Zahn
    2000 GrandAm GT
    1994 Firebird SOLD

Full Throttle
    Do you have a stock pcm in your alero?
    Bye bye grand am

Light Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by icemike89 View Post
    Do you have a stock pcm in your alero?

no, i upgraded to one of these first http://www.pfyc.com/pc/AL3001/ALUNDE...M+-+Alero.html but then realized i needed a PowrTuner http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GN7021/ALUNDE...PowrTuner.html

but you can tune any OBD-II GM V6 with DHP, just have to tell them what you need.
    Modded out 00 Alero
    Stock box 99 GAGT (wife's car)

Gamer IDs

That makes me sick... $99 for a basic tune and $400 for the software to do it yourself. I would be all over that if I had an ODB-II 3.4
    Zahn
    2000 GrandAm GT
    1994 Firebird SOLD

Mud in the hvac box again FlyinGTP's Avatar
    i have used both hp tuners and dhp's power tuner. There is a distinct night and day difference between the two. Hptuners is in another class in terms of function, user friendly, and being complete. the dhp unit is slow and clunky and not very user friendly in my opinion. Dhp has left out some very important tables needed to tune the car. There is some misconception that since dhp was doing mail order pcms basicly forever for the grand prix and some other v6 cars that it is better. Well that isn't the case here. Hp tuners got all there ducks in row and with each upgrade the software has added features and has gotten better. The next two updates coming out are supposed to have some new stuff for the v6 crowd.

Also there are a couple forums for tuning that deal with hp tuners as well along with all tuning in general. hp tuners themselves have a message board and hollandms is another tuning specific board that has tons of info. Plus we have a very knowledgeable staff here in our own pcm tuning section. Between these three places you can find more info about how to make a perfect tune for your car with hp tuners and there complete software then you can with dhp's secret handshake message board.
    Peeing in people's cheerios 24/7!
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

Full Throttle
    Quote Originally Posted by jackal2000 View Post
    no, i upgraded to one of these first http://www.pfyc.com/pc/AL3001/ALUNDE...M+-+Alero.html but then realized i needed a PowrTuner http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GN7021/ALUNDE...PowrTuner.html

but you can tune any OBD-II GM V6 with DHP, just have to tell them what you need.
    Not to be an ass but I was asking the guy who started the thread, trying to figure out his setup so far.

Im familiar with the dhp v1.0, but I opted for milzys basic setup pcm. I might need to pick up a powertuner in the future cause I may look into head work and a cam eventually. All this is after a new motor, 132k aint gonna cut it for my those crappy 3400's lol.
    Bye bye grand am

All of my PCMs are currently stock.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinGTP View Post
    i have used both hp tuners and dhp's power tuner. There is a distinct night and day difference between the two. Hptuners is in another class in terms of function, user friendly, and being complete. the dhp unit is slow and clunky and not very user friendly in my opinion. Dhp has left out some very important tables needed to tune the car. There is some misconception that since dhp was doing mail order pcms basicly forever for the grand prix and some other v6 cars that it is better. Well that isn't the case here. Hp tuners got all there ducks in row and with each upgrade the software has added features and has gotten better. The next two updates coming out are supposed to have some new stuff for the v6 crowd.

Also there are a couple forums for tuning that deal with hp tuners as well along with all tuning in general. hp tuners themselves have a message board and hollandms is another tuning specific board that has tons of info. Plus we have a very knowledgeable staff here in our own pcm tuning section. Between these three places you can find more info about how to make a perfect tune for your car with hp tuners and there complete software then you can with dhp's secret handshake message board.
    This reeks of someone that has not done any tuning on n-body 60* V6s. If you had you would know that you can't get a complete tune with either HP nor DHP. But each are VERY similar in what they allow to be tuned.
    2000 Grand Am GT (still soon to be SC/T)
    Mods: More than most

Technical and All Go Moderator on Grandamgt.com

Mud in the hvac box again FlyinGTP's Avatar
    i never said that i have tuned an n body. I said i have used both. As you can see i don't own an nbody. I do however own a grand prix i used it on my 3.8 and as far as overall programs are concerned hp blows away dhp. i have said in many other threads that i feel both need to offer more upgrades to the user. in the 3.8's case a true 2 bar map or even a true 3 bar map would be great.

Would you care to explain why you feel that neither of these programs can properly tune a n body and what tables are missing that makes it this way.
    Peeing in people's cheerios 24/7!
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

Problem is your basing your opinion on what you know from working with 3800s. They have seen far more support than the 60 degree crowd. Is this a bad thing? No, but it dictates what kind, and how much, of a crowd you will get when trying to tune it. Bottom line, 3800 has more experienced people, thus more help. Slowly this is changing but it will be sometime before any real HP making breakthroughs happen. Also the rivalry between the 3800 and 60 degree camps doesn't help anything either.

I have seen the HPT forums and found that getting help there is lacking. Most users have never touched a 60 degree so they don't want to give advice. How is this helping the new people trying to learn how to tune? I understand that HP has some features that make tuning easier for experienced users. But it becomes a bit much for the new people considering most are inexperienced in PCM tuning. I know when I first started tuning I thought I had an idea how to do it. Turns out I was WAY off. But thanks to the methods described on the DHP site I was able to learn how to tune and in what order tables should be adjusted. Other than just making a scan and asking what should I do?

As for what's lacking? Well the 1-2 bar and 1-3 bar conversion is needed as well. Plus for my particular vehicle, PE will not enable at my enable point. Instead its usually 2.5 seconds late if you gradually get on the gas(apparently a problem unique to 2000+ 60 degree PCMs.) But if you go WOT, it immediately goes into PE. That's for DHP. For HP I have heard complaints that you can't adjust the commanded coolant fan turn on temps. Also I heard that you can't adjust the 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shift pressures. That's all I've found so far. I know theres more, but it's late and I need sleep! lol
    2000 Grand Am GT (still soon to be SC/T)
    Mods: More than most

Technical and All Go Moderator on Grandamgt.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast