Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did autocross yesterday

Full Throttle Extreme! Turningfast's Avatar

Did autocross yesterday

Thank you work ! My work sent me to a ride and drive thing for tire performance on wet and dry pavement. There was an auto cross track set up in a stadium parking lot and were suplied wit '05 pontiac G6's (gay) and 05 bmw 325i's.Did 4 laps with the G6 and 6 with the 325i. The wet laps were the most fun. It was a blast and I am thinking about getting into it as a hobbie. HMMM my 85 z28 already has a lot of suspension work done to it, mabey.
    Running turbo car but.......for how long? up to 25#'s so far so good http://fquick.com/1SICK6
    11.63 @118.9 1.63 60' Best trap 119.6
    After almost 30k miles it popped, junk yard L26 going in with a better turbo
    Ooops, I did it again, lol.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Full Throttle Extreme! FloydSummerOf68's Avatar
    Awesome...I'd like to try it someday.

And whats wrong with the G6? Was it the 2door GT? (if it was the 4 door I could understand)
    Shawn
    '11 CTS-V Coupe
    '12 SRT8 Charger
    V6 Firebird - 12.2 on 100 shot and 13.5 Cam only - GONE

Sounds like fun. My job just sends me to sandy places to sweat my ass off and get shot at.
    2007 Honda Civic EX Coupe | 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    "He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.." - Oscar Wilde
    Mah blog! (Guns!) Slamfire <- Linky

It was a 4 door, just could not enjoy the fwd, I like to steer with the throttle. Don't worry GSJON, this was the first really cool thing work has done for me besides paying bills , but at least I don't get shot at
    Running turbo car but.......for how long? up to 25#'s so far so good http://fquick.com/1SICK6

Cretaceous and aggravated lo_jack's Avatar
    G6 is not bad as far as fwd goes. I am driving a 2005 altima right now, and let me tell you - that is not fun for driving around houston, much less autox.

Sounds like a good time, I have always wanted to do a little of it and see how I liked autox in general.
    06 Jetta 2.5 M5
    99 Firebird 3.8 M5
    01 X5 3.0 M5

yeah, the 3rd gen isnt terrible for auto-x the 4th gen isnt much if any better. The real problem with auto-x is the classes, the minute you put subframes on you get pushed into a class you never want to be in.
    John, 1999 Isuzu Vehicross Ironman Edition
    No more F-Bodies after 15 years of nothing else

I actually think the 4th gen suspensin is much better. The 3rd gen macPh. strut frontend is not all that great. The car has eibach springs KYB adjustable struts and shocks, all poly bushings, adjust pan hard rod and lakewood square tube trailing arms, 3 pt strut tower brace. Never did put subframe connestors on it though. I actually started to build the car for it (autox) 5-6 years ago, but got a different project car (87 rwd cutless with a 74 olds 455ci engine) and lost intrest so it sat. I put less than 2000k on it in the last 5 years. Hmmm, would probably have to put on big brakes too (has4 wheel disk, but tiny compaired to my 98), and a stock hood (be takin' out a lot of cones with the 4" cowl), and lighter 17" wheels (the 17 inch cragers weigh a ton) and..... dammit..... I think I'm going to start dumping money into it now.

auto-x > Drag Racing 91Firebirdv6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Turningfast View Post
    I actually think the 4th gen suspensin is much better. The 3rd gen macPh. strut frontend is not all that great. The car has eibach springs KYB adjustable struts and shocks, all poly bushings, adjust pan hard rod and lakewood square tube trailing arms, 3 pt strut tower brace. Never did put subframe connestors on it though. I actually started to build the car for it (autox) 5-6 years ago, but got a different project car (87 rwd cutless with a 74 olds 455ci engine) and lost intrest so it sat. I put less than 2000k on it in the last 5 years. Hmmm, would probably have to put on big brakes too (has4 wheel disk, but tiny compaired to my 98), and a stock hood (be takin' out a lot of cones with the 4" cowl), and lighter 17" wheels (the 17 inch cragers weigh a ton) and..... dammit..... I think I'm going to start dumping money into it now.
    I should be taking my 3rd gen to a local auto-x. I'll let you know how it goes. I've got KYB GR2's, UMI LCA's and PHB.
    TJ
    For Sale & Wanted Mod
    1991 3.1L Firebird
    Too slow to care

I getta go do that in a couple days for GM! I cant wait! I hear were gonna have a Red Line Ion and a Sky to play in (possible a Red Line Sky, turbo). There should be competitors cars there too. Cant wait!
    2001 Firebird. Completley Stock besides the Flowmasters. Mods coming when the cash does too!

Quote Originally Posted by Teufel Hunden View Post
    I sweat the small stuff. I burned some guy's house down because his trash can was half way over my property line. He never did it again.

I am worthless
    you'd be surprised how much more fun it is than just straight line racing.

you will have a blast. beat the poo out of the cars!

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
    you'd be surprised how much more fun it is than just straight line racing.
    That is true. Takes more skill too.

^^^ The fun car...not a daily.

God Bless America. The land of the FREE and the Home of the BRAVE.

Cretaceous and aggravated lo_jack's Avatar
    I was just reading up on SCCA classing.
    What is slight newb modding to us damn near puts you into
    the "anything goes" categories, and adds hefty weight penalties
    as well.

I don't even think turbos or blowers are legal until you get damn
    near "never intended for the street."
    I started getting confused after about page 140,
    and appendix A just made me cry.

Malice - you used to do solo 2 did you not? Was that in the red car?
    06 Jetta 2.5 M5
    99 Firebird 3.8 M5
    01 X5 3.0 M5

auto-x > Drag Racing 91Firebirdv6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lo_jack View Post
    I was just reading up on SCCA classing.
    What is slight newb modding to us damn near puts you into
    the "anything goes" categories, and adds hefty weight penalties
    as well.

I don't even think turbos or blowers are legal until you get damn
    near "never intended for the street."
    I started getting confused after about page 140,
    and appendix A just made me cry.

Malice - you used to do solo 2 did you not? Was that in the red car?
    yeah, If/when i go I may not tell them about my lca's and phr because it would bump me up against some stiff competition.

I did notice if i had smaller tires I could run in a class that is 3.1L and smaller
    TJ
    For Sale & Wanted Mod
    1991 3.1L Firebird
    Too slow to care

Yup, you put so much as subframe connectors on an F-Body and they bump you in class.

A lot of AutoX guys complain about this because with the lowered cars, they have very few convenient jacking spots on the car, and the subframe connectors act as jacking rails which would speed wheel/tire changes after driving the car to the event. So, for the convenience, they get outclassed.

Quite fair.

But, they are challenging that rule right now.
    2007 Honda Civic EX Coupe | 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    "He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.." - Oscar Wilde
    Mah blog! (Guns!) Slamfire <- Linky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast