Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need ideas for a beginning autocross/circuit car

I don't mind working on an older car, but I do mind fighting with a bunch of ricer punks who want to make a drifting machine out of one. They inflate that market for their ghey projects that they never finish.
    2007 Honda Civic EX Coupe | 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    "He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.." - Oscar Wilde
    Mah blog! (Guns!) Slamfire <- Linky

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Full Throttle Extreme! 1970judge's Avatar
    Miata+weight reduction+ jackson=ownage in autocross.
    Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
    "First thing I'll do is call Comp and tell them to grind me a CC306 for the LS2"

240sx's are expensive right now becuase of the drifting craze.

older VW GTI's are usually competetive.
    I have no idea what the pricing is like on these, but ol' british MGB's are pretty cool. Just get some slicks and cut the exhaust for an open tube header, and you got a budget racer.

EDIT: I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but...

3rd gen Fox body 302 mustang hatchbacks are fuggin perfect!! They are decently lightweight, there is a HUGE aftermarket, they are cheap, and thier short wheelbase and rigid body makes them way more nimble than a floppy body 3rd gen fbody.

In stone stock form, they are mediocre at best, but you can build a good racecar for very minimal cash.

From what I've heard, pontiac grand prixs are terrible. They are heavy and the weight distribution is awful. I've never driven one though, so I don't know.
    2010 Camaro RS/SS LS3 M6 AFe cai, GMPP catback

I was kinda thinking Fox-Body Mustang too. Lemme put that up there at the top.

Thanks again Geoff.

I know this is gonna sound bad, but try and find a Neon ACR, they come from the factory ready to race in AutoX events, hell how many cheap cars can you tell me that come stock with adjustabe Koni struts and adjustable camber plates, they only prob is its a neon, and most people dont like em
    Clarion DXZ745MP, MB Quart PCE213 5 1/4 Components, an old Kicker 652xi 65x2 for components, JBL 600.1(soon to be a Hifonics Brutus BX1500D), and a Kicker 12L7(hate the SQ but hey i get good deals, used to have Shivas ,hopefully something different as soon as i decide)

I used to own a Neon, so I don't totally dislike them. Unfortunately, I don't think I could dig the FWD on that car anymore, even with the fully adjustable suspension.

I dunno, possibly...

Full Throttle Extreme!
    Let's review some statements

"I'd like to build a car specifically for the purpose of racing in SCCA races. Autocross and otherwise. So, I need some ideas on what kind of cars would be cheap/somewhat realiable for type of racing."

"Honestly it's more about the racing than the car"

"I used to own a Neon...I dunno, possibly..."

Civic. I know you find a Japanese FWD car unesthetic, but are you going to reject what is _clearly_ the best choice for budget SCCA competition because you have a twitch? Dirt cheap, tons of junkyard parts, the biggest aftermarket for SCCA racing there is, lots of guys to race against, much experience with mods you can find in writing (search amazon for honda civic) and a very large Internet community of people who can (and will) help.

It's a slam dunk, unless you insist on being different. Me, I'm a racer (well, a retired racer, unless you count simulations). Being different doesn't get in the way of that for me.

No, I'm not totally against the Civic, I would just prefer a RWD car. Yes, I understand that the RWD platforms are going to be a bit more expensive. I really am weighing all options, and nothing (outside of extremely expensive vehicles) are being counted out.

Once again, it's more about the RWD preference. I know FWD can be set up to really tear up an autocross track, but I'm pretty worn out on the FWD thing. That's all.

Jon, if you get a miata..you have to promise me it'll be capable of doing this:

99 Firebird - ls1 swapped
    00 s-10 - 4.3 waiting to explode
    96 f150 - 4.9 already asploded

Heh, Chances are if it can be ripped out for weight reduction, it's gone.

So, that may be on there when I'm towing it to the track.

I just thing it'd be funny to see you swerving around cones with part of a leg hanging out of your car's "mouth".
    99 Firebird - ls1 swapped
    00 s-10 - 4.3 waiting to explode
    96 f150 - 4.9 already asploded

I race with the SCCA in a miata, I love it. weight reduction and the CAI are not legal in stock in the SCCA, you can't take seats out ect.. I favor the miata but there is a guy who races in a 240sx turbo in my area, he has come up with fast time of the day a few times.......

Quote Originally Posted by scorps07
    I race with the SCCA in a miata, I love it. weight reduction and the CAI are not legal in stock in the SCCA, you can't take seats out ect.. I favor the miata but there is a guy who races in a 240sx turbo in my area, he has come up with fast time of the day a few times.......
    I don't mean to treadjack, but where do you race in FL? I just moved here, I'm looking to get into SCCA solo II again.
    2010 Camaro RS/SS LS3 M6 AFe cai, GMPP catback

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12