Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drifting, yes drifting.

Drifting, yes drifting.

Im not talking about Fast n The Furious drifing, im talking about drifting on small rocks and areas covered in sand. Tried it today...was pretty fun, whats a good suspension setup for "drifting"? And how will it help me? I need to slide more and I have the roll over feeling....but that might be good.
    Sold Srt4. Hello Ram.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pathogen is the closest thing we have to a drifting expert.

When I used to drift my 71 Monte carlo around on dirt fields in college, I found that really loose suspension worked best. I had depleted rear shocks, worn out springs, lots of power, and skinny tires. It was a blast. I used to rock out dukes of hazzard style.
    2010 Camaro RS/SS LS3 M6 AFe cai, GMPP catback

Prediction: 3 weeks into the future

Thread title: "Damn I just wrecked my car trying to 'drift' on gravel"

That's not drifting on gravel kid, that's just sliding around. Power sliding at the very most.

Anyway, you'll want bigger swaybars, shocks, maybe springs. Or follow malice's suggestion and try the loose suspension style. It sounds like he might have a little more experience with it than me. I'd also assume you'd want a different setup for doing that stuff on dirt than on concrete.
    99 Firebird - ls1 swapped
    00 s-10 - 4.3 waiting to explode
    96 f150 - 4.9 already asploded

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm
    Prediction: 3 weeks into the future

Thread title: "Damn I just wrecked my car trying to 'drift' on gravel"

That's not drifting on gravel kid, that's just sliding around. Power sliding at the very most.

Anyway, you'll want bigger swaybars, shocks, maybe springs. Or follow malice's suggestion and try the loose suspension style. It sounds like he might have a little more experience with it than me. I'd also assume you'd want a different setup for doing that stuff on dirt than on concrete.
    I have adjustable shocks, and I used to swap out rear springs for fun. I too thought that solid, flat suspension would be great for drifting/powersliding, but in reality it makes my car grip like a ferrari. I can only slide out my rearend if I have my shocks set on super-loose: 1 out of 12.
    2010 Camaro RS/SS LS3 M6 AFe cai, GMPP catback

How would bigger sway bars help me? jw
    Sold Srt4. Hello Ram.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmadi6490
    How would bigger sway bars help me? jw
    Bigger sway bars AKA Anti-rollbars help decrease body roll and keeps your center of gravity where it should be or as close as possible. This makes it alot easier on the car if you are doing quick transitions from left to right in hard cornering and switchbacks. This can decrease the chance in getting into an uncontrollable situation or braking loose as the car is more stable (not rocking back and forth).

The mantra for some grassroots types is to go with a big bar and plyant spring. Decreases roll while not sacrificing travel and comfort.
    Click here for My Project Thread
    2000 Firebird
    ●WOT-Tech Thumper●P&P Intake/Heads●Longtubes●Strano HP7 Package●T56●

Stiff shocks, sport-lowering springs, swaybars, subframes, LCAs, PHR, and anything else you can think to make that car handle like it's on a rail.

Once you get that far, due to the build of the fbody, you need to extend the steering range lock to lock.

The steering range is the biggest flaw of the Fbody when it comes to drifting.

Don't forget a good set of tires and good brakes.

2007 Chevy Silverado - 2006 Thoroughbred Gelding - 1998 ProCharged Pontiac Firebird
    Car Tech - Outlaw 10.5 Camaro "Juiceman"
    Sub Tech - Outlaw 10.5 Mustang "Old Reliable"

Full Throttle Extreme! 1DangerousV6's Avatar
    ^ definitely what she said..stiffen the living crap out of it..my car was built for street racing and cornering before it was built for drag racing..i also found that low profile tires work a little better (probably because of the lack of sidewall)..but you gotta look around..a lot of the low profile tires are built for performance so the rubber is a little softer..find some that are built with rubber thats a little harder..that'll get ya sliding better
    12 SECOND DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO
    Camaro World Magazine Featured Camaro March 07
    Bests: ET [email protected], MPH 104.7, 60' 1.75 - Stock TC, 0 - 60 MPH 3.1 sec
    www.12secondV6Camaro.com

Why would a stiffer car be better tho? Like cant it still slide around when its stiff or loose bothways?

Or can you switch like turns better and keep the circles tighter? I'd just liek to understand it all before I really buy some stuff.
    Sold Srt4. Hello Ram.

Enemy With Benefits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmadi6490
    Why would a stiffer car be better tho?
    A stiffer car puts more force on the ground. The more force on the ground, the more likely your tires will break loose
    Chad | 2010 Ford Mustang GT | 2011 Ducati 848 |

Ohh ok now I see where this all is coming from. Now this stiff will help in speed too right?
    Sold Srt4. Hello Ram.

The stiffer suspension has nothing to do with how fast your car goes. It has everything to do with how the power makes it to the ground however. You can reduce wheel hop on launches and increase your handling. Suspension by itself will never really increase power though. That's not even possible.
    99 Firebird - ls1 swapped
    00 s-10 - 4.3 waiting to explode
    96 f150 - 4.9 already asploded

Enemy With Benefits
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimm
    The stiffer suspension has nothing to do with how fast your car goes. It has everything to do with how the power makes it to the ground however.

doesn't matter if you have 1000hp if you can only plant 80 of it
    Chad | 2010 Ford Mustang GT | 2011 Ducati 848 |

It has nothing to do with power to the ground.

The stiffer the car is, the more controllable it will be, the more you can direct travel and the better angle you can get through a course.

Drifting has nothing to do with power.

2007 Chevy Silverado - 2006 Thoroughbred Gelding - 1998 ProCharged Pontiac Firebird
    Car Tech - Outlaw 10.5 Camaro "Juiceman"
    Sub Tech - Outlaw 10.5 Mustang "Old Reliable"

And f-bodys should have nothing to do with drifting.
    Bob
    Atlantic Members Moderator
    1998 Chevrolet C1500 5.7
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V 5.7L LS6

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast