1 14.29%
  • Hawk HPS pads

5 71.43%
  • EBC pads

2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Powerslot vs. EBC vs. Hawk

Well my brakes are squeaking like a bitch again so Ithink I'm going to ditch the shitty autozone rotors and get some new rotors and pads.

Here are my options:
    Powerslot slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads ($190 total)
    EBC Sport Groved Rotors ($163) with Hawk HPS pads ($53)

OR

The same rotors with the EBC pads ($85)

So which rotors and which pads have you guys used and were low dust/low noise? The Hawk HPS pads are awesome pads, but I wouldn't mind trying the EBC pads or rotors right now

You can select more than one box, so vote for which rotors AND which pads
    2013 Lexus GS350 F Sport | 2009 G8 GT (traded) | 1995 3.4L Firebird (sold)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

personal note: EBC green stuff pads # DP21142, rotors #GD7003

Why not try Brembo blanks from tire rack for a fraction of the cost? I have them along with Hawk Ceramic pads and no noise and very little dust. I noticed a difference. Car felt way more solid stopping. I don't think you need exotic brakes unless you're road racing. Make sure you flush your brake fluid with some good fluid.

I don't autocross or anything, but I can be rough on brakes sometimes
    The country road I take home from class every night can get exciting hehe. I was thinking about better pads and stuff because the other night I almost rearended an SUV because my brakes faded and didn't stop like they normally do. I just think its time for a change

Well what I got has made a difference and I like them for daily driving.

I want something that will look nicer in there than the blanks

I loved how my old cross drilled rotors looked, rust free LOL These autozone shit-rotors are all rusted up, they look terrible.

Half Throttle
    Another vote for blanks here. With proper bed-in and torquing, no problems with warping, fade, or anything else, and stuff lasts longer.

Carbotech has combo specials with blanks and Bobcat pads (equiv to HPS) for $148.

I've been using their Panther Plus pads (equiv to HP+ or EBC Greenstuff) for the last couple brake jobs (autocross and road course use), love them. More streetable and less noisy than the Hawk or EBC equivalents.

-Jeff

I'm running a set of zinc plated drilled and slotted rotors, and bendix titanium metallic pads. VERY little dust and about 7,000 miles in and i have no signs of any noise at all. I love this combo. Just make shure you throw a little anti seize on the pad grooves and you should be okay.
    Quick99SIX: She'll be back and I'll have my nipple ready.

Tootsie rolls and fairy f RancidCamaro's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: A Didactic Duck

I got powerslots and hawk pads and my car stops like chubbies after a 5K.
    Tom | Appearance Modifications/Wheels & Tires Moderator

I don't think the Autozone rotors are causing the noise. What pads are you running? The only time I ever get the slightest noise with my Ceramix/Duralast combo is if they have been sitting a week. The I get a slight blip the first time I push the brake when pulling out of my parking space. They are completely silent from then on, and if I drive every day. And since i have the ceramic pads, there is essentially no brake dust. I can't imagine ever going back to any other pad.

At any rate, if you are finished with Duralasts, get a set of Brembo blanks. They are probably the best all around rotor that we can get (outside of upgrading to C5 brakes ).
    Matt
    2001 Formula
    2000 Firebird - sold

FI Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
    I don't think the Autozone rotors are causing the noise. What pads are you running? The only time I ever get the slightest noise with my Ceramix/Duralast combo is if they have been sitting a week. The I get a slight blip the first time I push the brake when pulling out of my parking space. They are completely silent from then on, and if I drive every day. And since i have the ceramic pads, there is essentially no brake dust. I can't imagine ever going back to any other pad.

At any rate, if you are finished with Duralasts, get a set of Brembo blanks. They are probably the best all around rotor that we can get (outside of upgrading to C5 brakes ).
    I have Hawk HPS pads right now. I think the squeaks are just the wear bars, the the pads are glazed over. They're getting pretty thin though so they'll need to be replaced soon.

The autozone rotors need to go because they're so rusted and ugly. Also, they don't feel as good as my old KVR rotors did. Dry stopping isn't as good, but is close, and wet stopping is a bit worse.

Yes the rusting is pretty bad, but that is my only complaint. I think you would like Brembo blanks then.
    Matt
    2001 Formula
    2000 Firebird - sold

FI Moderator

+ Reply to Thread