Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ask an Aussie

Ask an Aussie

The "ask an aussie" thread is a place for the US guys to ask any general questions about the australian scene/cars/engines etc so if there is anything you would like to know, you can post it here. For real technical questions, feel free to start your own thread... but for general FAQ type questions, post them in here.
    1995 Holden VS Commodore
    130rwkw L36 - 15.439 @ 89.89mph

--twinturbo buildup underway--

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ill start off with an example question.

What are the current fastest australian track times for street driven Holden v6es both naturally aspirated and forced induction?
    1995 Holden VS Commodore

You stole the question right outta my mouth! Crikey!

We'd definitely love to have some times to put into comparison. We'll be implementing a timeslip database that will be broken down into many categories at a later time so we'll have a majority of our cars tracked on here.
    Matt / FullThrottleV6.com Owner
    Current Cars: 07 6.0L C6, 14 BMW M235i
    Previous Cars: 08 BMW 335xi, 02 5.7L Firehawk, 06 6.0L GTO, 99 3.8L GTP, 96 3.8L Firebird
    http://www.fquick.com/epic
    http://www.mattbohlman.com

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow420
    What are the current fastest australian track times for street driven Holden v6es both naturally aspirated and forced induction?
    Naturally Aspirated
    Dale Bickhams VN (1989 to 1991 model) Commodore which came with the series1 v6 (pre L36/L67). It has been rebuilt and stroked to 4.3L with an australian made cast nodular stroker crank... plenty of engine work and a custom plenum... runs a T5 manual 5speed gearbox. Spun the rollers to the tune of around 179.9rwkw or ~240rwhp and had a best time of 13.6 @ 102mph however had some technical problems breaking flywheel bolts and called it quits for the outing. He since moved overseas and hasnt raced it since - but it is still the fastest NA V6 commodore in australia. We can't wait till he comes back home and dusts the old girl off, as there's surely more in it.

Here is what his car and engine looks like:

Forced Induction
    Currently David's (known as 'dwilz' to most aussie forum go'ers) VS Commodore (that's 1995-1997 model with the L36 engine) is the fastest force fed v6. It has a fully rebuilt engine, custom twin turbos (based on garret T3 - 500HP), T700 trans and a host of other mods and goodies, including an 80HP shot of nitrous. He pulled over 500rwhp on the dyno (with nitrous) and best time so far is an amazing 10.76 @ 129 mph. He wasn't allowed to race again until he came back with a rollcage, which has now finished... and he has also finally got his transbrake sorted out (the first transbraked T700 in australia i believe) and is going to run again soon!

Couple of pics of dwilz's car:

Hopefully we can get both of these guys to come and join up over here soon!!
    1995 Holden VS Commodore

What kind of suspension parts are available for your cars?

Is the chassis a subframe design like on the F-Bodies or is it a solid frame?

I would venture to say none of us US guys (I am not a Yankee because I am from the south... and we don't like those "damn yankees" ) know much about Australia other than the brief overview we get in school about it... all of my grade schools make Australia out to be like a big zoo where animals run wild everywhere and there are crazy bushmen that live in the deserts and you guys like to play with boomerangs. I am sure that you all think since I am from Texas I ride a horse everywhere.

So here are a few questions about Australia.

Have you ever wrestled a croc like Steve Irwin or Crocodile Dundee?

Where is Brisbane located in relation to Sydney (the only city I kinda know in Aus)?

What is the car scene like there? Is there a lot of street racing or mainly track racing?
    2008 5.3 A4 Chevrolet Avalanche
    2006 6.0 A4 Quicksilver Metallic GTO
    1999 3.8 A4 Bright Silver Metallic Firebird - Sold

Actually come to think of it there is another guy "sleeper" with a VN with a 3.8L series1 v6 that usually runs nitrous... but the engine itself is extremely stout and runs high compression (at least 10:1) i think... he ran a best time (without jungle juice) of 13.68 @ 97mph - so depending on the hundredths this might actually make him the fastest NA time at the moment. Im not sure on bickham's EXACT time with the stroker, only that it was a 13.6_something - I will have to check up on it :p Obviously from the mph the stroker has more in it though if/when he runs again. Ill see if i can dig up a piccie of sleepers car too
    1995 Holden VS Commodore

Quote Originally Posted by hawgs
    What kind of suspension parts are available for your cars?

Is the chassis a subframe design like on the F-Bodies or is it a solid frame?
    Ill leave the susp questions for now... 3am and time for sleep

Have you ever wrestled a croc like Steve Irwin or Crocodile Dundee
    ?
    CRIKEY! The other day when i was walking me pet kangaroo down to the local billabong i got in a tooth and nail fight with a big ole croc and.... oh hang on that was steve irwin. bwahahaha.

In answer to your question - NO!!! The only crazy mofo aussies that wrestle crocs are insane types like steve irwin. Crocs are big, they are scary... they are also only found in northern parts of the country really and infact the only time ive ever even seen them is at the zoo. I wouldn't go anywhere near one!

Where is Brisbane located in relation to Sydney (the only city I kinda know in Aus)?
    Brisbane is on the east coast - north of sydney about 1000km (625 miles). It takes an hour to fly by plane. Brisbane is the capital of QLD (Queensland) one of the 7 states/territories of australia. The weather here is beautiful and sunny... and we have really nice beaches to the north (sunshine coast) and to the south (gold coast) both about an hours drive from brisbane.

Here's a basic map i found. It shows the capital cities of each of the states (although the other states are not marked out or named... only QLD)

basically the other states are
    NSW New South Wales (capital Sydney)
    VIC Victoria (capital Melbourne)
    South Australia (capital Adelaide)
    Western Australia (capital Perth)
    The Northern Territory (capital Darwin)
    Tasmania (capital Hobart)

What is the car scene like there? Is there a lot of street racing or mainly track racing?
    The car scene is very popular - big "aussie icons" holden and ford are well represented as are the import scene skylines, WRX. And of course the crappy ricers lancers, mirages and so on

Cruising and car culture is very strong i would say... there are many clubs and formal and informal cruises - up here to places like the gold coast "Broadwater Carpark" to name one location where everyone tends to cruise to and check out the cars, the chicks etc Not that i tend to go on that many cruises myself.

Illegal street racing im sure goes on all around the world... it is frowned upon (obviously) and i dont know how the law enforcement is in the USA but over here there are quite harsh penalties for speeding, including possible impounding cars if you are caught street racing or "hooning". People still have traffic light duels of course. But in terms of organised illegal drags they arent a "big thing". People who are into drags tend to take it to the strip. Our main strip in Brisbane (well it's about an hour out) is pretty good quality timing gear and track etc, well staffed and has test and tunes every 2 to 3 weeks, as well as full on dragster and funy car, top fuel etc etc meets whenever they are on.

some other aussies can probably give their 2c about their local scenes, but that's my "take" on it
    1995 Holden VS Commodore

Super Moderator
    Do the Aussie RWD L36 cars have the independant suspension like that of the GTO? Or are they solid axle like the beloved F-bodies?
    Matt
    2000 Grand Prix GTP Daytona - 3.4", Intake, Exhaust, Tune

I believe we got our first V6's in around !989 -1990 ( simular to the buick ) The front suspension was independant coils and the rear was alive axle coil sprung in sedans and leaf spring in the commercials ( utilities ).

Somewhere around 1996 I think it was we went to the coil sprung Independant rear suspension in the sedans. The commercials ( utilities and wagons ) stayed with coil sprung live axle until a model change in 1997. From 1997 on sedans, wagons and utilities all went to a coil sprung independant rear suspension. Then Holden must have got bored with things being a little to easy to follow. So they started producing variants of the utilities some with extra long wheel bases called a crewman. These came in RWD and a AWD option and pretty much look like the 4 door sedan with a utility tray / well-body on the back. These went back to the leaf spring live axle, as did some up rated load carrying utilities called One Tonners. The crewman RWD had the V6 L36 or a LS1 option. The AWD crewman came I believe only in a LS1 engine option. Although I could be corrected here. As for wheel bases its Sedans/Coupes then Two door utilities then your wagons who I'm not sure if they share the same wheel base as the Crewman 4 door utilities. There is also a luxury model the Statesman, which has all the soft ride indepedant suspension all round and with 4 doors it's simular in length to the wagons.

Thats my piece and I will probably be corrected very shotly by some one .

talking about sedans only... most were live axle up until the VT series (1997) when they allwent to IRS.

But even in the VR/VS range, only the base spec levels (like executives) had the live axle, the sportier and luxury models (called calais and SS and others) had IRS. And even back to the VN/VP models IRS came in a very few of the HSV models (which is like the high performance/tuning arm of holden).

all i care about though, is that my VS has live xle - good for traction!
    1995 Holden VS Commodore

street racing is DEFINITELY frowned upon here ever since the outbreak (yes, outbreak) of the fast and the furious and its associates... i believe some localities have resorted to impoundment and destruction of the vehicle of a person convicted of street racing.

my image of oz was that of mad max until a couple of my friends came back from studies there... i knew that australia had some very beautiful cities, but from their pictures i was able to see that it's quite suburban. i haven't ruled out immigrating if i get bored with the U.S.

this is a really neat thread, by the by.
    Ben | Super Mod
    richmondperformancemusclecars
    Quote Originally Posted by Malice View Post
    I really think you should use your $200 for grammar lessons. You've made "an decision". Aren't you embarrassed by that?

hey thats my car above (nice work scarecrow)! I also want to get back and work on that ET.

I've attached a pic of sleepers car, it is a standard stroke buick engine based VN V6, but runs, custom forged h-beams, custom forged pistons (a bit more than 10.1:1 comp but i've been sworn not to tell), and also a med grind camshaft (although it may or may not be a solid, again he won't let me tell). He's running 175 wet nitrous system (plumbed through the middle of the intake) by a company called OZNos. The car had recently been converted from a T5 manual, to a C4 auto with 3500 stallie (he also run 3.9 LSD in the solid rear end). The auto set-up hasn't dropped ET's a huge amount yet, as he is having some fuel probs and the LSD has cried enough.

My fastest ET is 13.693 @ 100 mph, 1.70 60 foot (highest mph 102 and fasted 60 ft 1.68), from my only outing. HP seemed down on the night, finally worked out why when the flywheel nearly came off on the last run (every bolt was loose and streched 1/4 inch). Wasn't running cold air intake as well and didn't let car cool down between runs. So when i get my work sorted out, i will be back and hopefully a low 13 pass will be possible. I've also got a billet flywheel and 5 puck ceramic clutch (from dwilz) which should handle the 4500 rpm clutch dumps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    4.3 V6 stroker (179.9 rwkw or 239.9 rwhp) re-born in 1976 holden hx kingswood wagon

Mud in the hvac box again FlyinGTP's Avatar
    I know that the commodore and monaro share a lot of the same parts. My question is, is there any upgraded driveshafts floating around OZ for a decent price. I really don't trust the two peice one in my GTO(aka monaro). I know bmw has used that style for ever but i feel its far from ideal for drag racing. There is one avaliable here from bmr but its like a grand.
    Peeing in people's cheerios 24/7!
    97 GTP & 00 GP GT

FlyinGTP you are probably best to check out www.ls1.com.au forums as they will be the guys to tell you!

i dont know enough about the gen3 V8 setups to know what fits monaros in terms of driveshafts - ie will a VT-VY commodore sedan fit as well?

some guys are running upgraded driveshafts, and some are even running T400 trans setups (or is it T350 - the one that has 4 gears but is as TOUGH as nails) but they set them back a pretty penny - in the order of 8 to 10 grand AUD to do it. Id hazard a guess and say that any driveshaft setups over here are custom/one off type things and are quite expensive. But check out LS1.com.au as they are the gurus of Aussie LS1 stuff (including monaros)
    1995 Holden VS Commodore

i 'am new on this forum thanks to scarecrow420 !
    I will post soon soem detaisl about my Holden Commodore !
    and of course some times ........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Supercharged 3.8 litre V6, L67 engine in a Holden Commodore whit manual T5 , and is real whell drive whit 178kw /rears = over 235 HP 's .Quarter mile new ET 14.26 @ 98.61mph in full street trim !, and idff geras 3:45's and locker >now changing to 3:7s LSd !!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast