Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turbocharging a 3.8L 4th gen camaro

turbocharging a 3.8L 4th gen camaro

Hello...first let me introduce myself. My name is Jeff. My first car was a 1998 3.8L Camaro. Absolutely loved that car....until it got totalled

I should be graduating college this May, and once I get settled into a full time job, I will be starting my first project car. After some research and thought, I've decided to do a turbo'd 3.8L Camaro. I can pick one up for cheap and rebuild the motor and build a turbo system for it. I've worked with forced induction cars before, but all of them being 4 cylinder motors (DSM's, and now my cobalt). Someone referred me to this forum and said you guys would know a lot about turbo-ing these cars.
    Now I know that I'm not going to just slap on a turbo and everything will be gravy, but I had some questions for you guys if you don't mind.

1) How do the stock internals hold up w/ forced induction. Anything that I should changed before going with the turbo?
    2) How does the rear (axles, differential, etc.) hold up with a turbo setup?
    3) What about getting power to the ground, any tips/tricks aside from like trailing arms/subframe connecters?
    4) I heard that the 3.8L motors have 9.4:1 compression. This is pretty damned good for a turbo setup! How many lbs of boost have you run with this compression? What octane gas? What are/were your air/fuel ratios?
    5) What do you guys use to tune these cars (ecu flash, piggy backs, etc)?
    6) What other parts do you think are necessary for the car to run properly with a turbo setup?

Also any stories/info would be much appreciated about this. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cretaceous and aggravated lo_jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JRusty15
    After some research and thought, I've decided to do a turbo'd 3.8L Camaro.
    You are going to like it here.
    06 Jetta 2.5 M5
    99 Firebird 3.8 M5
    01 X5 3.0 M5

Is wrong most of the time chadder's Avatar
    Hey Jeff! Welcome to FTV6!

This forum probably has the most 3.8 turbo knowledge out of any other v6 f-body board. Some guys are running some hi-po setups on the stock block (anywhere from 300rwhp-350rwhp). I believe there are a couple guys running ~15psi, but those are pretty built up setups. (good for 450rwhp+). About the internals, the stock crank is probably good for well over 350rwhp, just get some forged pistons. Before you go straight into the turbo setup, go ahead and get some headers and a good flowing exhaust (as you probably already know). Good luck (others will be much more helpful than I, I just wanted to say hi while staying on-topic)
    Chad
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT
    1999 Chevy Corvette Coupe

It moves !!!!
    hello

350 RWHP is "easy" on the stock moto with injectors and tunning 416RWHP has been put down on one mostly stock car with turbo

9.4 is stock CR, i run a 8.5:1 (same as the GTP's stock i think)

rear will hold up fine, tranny will probly break first..... like mine did lol, upgrade the rear to LSD

www.turbov6camaro.om you can check my site out if you like for ideas, check out the board sponsor for parts also
    www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall
    [email protected] 1/8 -1.8x sixty
    [email protected] unk 1/4 - 7.197 1/8 - 1.83 sixty
    Call me Viper

Quote Originally Posted by viper04af
    hello

350 RWHP is "easy" on the stock moto with injectors and tunning 416RWHP has been put down on one mostly stock car with turbo

9.4 is stock CR, i run a 8.5:1 (same as the GTP's stock i think)

rear will hold up fine, tranny will probly break first..... like mine did lol, upgrade the rear to LSD

www.turbov6camaro.om you can check my site out if you like for ideas, check out the board sponsor for parts also
    Just wondering how you got the 8.5:1 compression ratio?

Also wondering what companies make upgraded/stronger trannys.

Thanks for all the info so far...keep em coming!

It moves !!!!
    Just wondering how you got the 8.5:1 compression ratio?

Also wondering what companies make upgraded/stronger trannys.

Thanks for all the info so far...keep em coming!
    rebiult the motor with forged pistons, ect

www.rosslertrans.com biulds the auto's and (should be okay on low boost) and g-force biulds the M5's to handle about anyones power..... but mine and malice lol
    www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall
    [email protected] 1/8 -1.8x sixty
    [email protected] unk 1/4 - 7.197 1/8 - 1.83 sixty
    Call me Viper

1) How do the stock internals hold up w/ forced induction. Anything that I should changed before going with the turbo?
    2) How does the rear (axles, differential, etc.) hold up with a turbo setup?
    3) What about getting power to the ground, any tips/tricks aside from like trailing arms/subframe connecters?
    4) I heard that the 3.8L motors have 9.4:1 compression. This is pretty damned good for a turbo setup! How many lbs of boost have you run with this compression? What octane gas? What are/were your air/fuel ratios?
    5) What do you guys use to tune these cars (ecu flash, piggy backs, etc)?
    6) What other parts do you think are necessary for the car to run properly with a turbo setup?

Also any stories/info would be much appreciated about this. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

lol, you have more questions already!
    K here we go.

1. I'v put down 400+ on a stock motor.
    2. I have a rebuilt stock rear end.
    3. I suggest you get the suspension set up if you are looking to get 350+ to the ground. LCA, SFC, shocks and springs, ect...
    4. On a stock engine it matter how much air you are moving as apposed to what PSI it'll take. I amd a few others are running Master Power T70 Turbocharger (.7 a/r compressor, p trim turbine, .68 a/r t4). Which was considered to big for our cars. Butit's running very well with our cars. we typically run 93 octane.
    5. look over on the right side. Look for HP Tuners. www.HPTUNERS.com
    Patrick
    10 factory five GTM 1097 RWHP
    03 Audi A4 1.8T (my DD)
    07 Z71 4x4 Silver Avalanche LT3 (wife's DD) Intake/exhaust and tuned!
    97 Mystic Teal Camaro (retired) Click for Mods 649RWHP

Let me say that it is best if you have your own garage (house garage not a shop garage) and if you either don't need to drive the car everyday or have a beater because otherwise it will take a long time to install it. And if you have limited patience, you may find yourself getting pissed off quickly
    Matt
    2001 Formula
    2000 Firebird - sold

FI Moderator

Full Throttle Extreme! 93camaro_zzz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
    Let me say that it is best if you have your own garage (house garage not a shop garage) and if you either don't need to drive the car everyday or have a beater because otherwise it will take a long time to install it. And if you have limited patience, you may find yourself getting pissed off quickly
    Also, VBgarage's are cool as well. Welcome to the site Jeff! Like many have said, this is the biggest source for forced induction on GMV6 engines/platforms. Look forward to seeing you around.
    2000 Pontiac TransAm WS-6 MN6 370ci Twin turbo
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Auto, lid, catback (Daily)
    2006 GSX-R 750
    Jordan - 1995 Chevy Camaro 3.4 5 speed (Sold)

yea, my plan is to start this project after getting my own place. i've been lookin at this apartment w/ a garage for like $845/mo....in NJ! that's pretty much as cheap as you will ever find one around here and it has a garage. This car will be my weekend car and I will have my 06 cobalt SS S/C as my daily driver. i should be done "not voiding my warranty" by the time I start the Camaro project. And I plan on taking my sweet ass time with this car. I want to do everything with my own hands and make sure it's perfect. If I can have it running (not done, but running w/ a turbo) by summer '07, I'd be EXTREMELY happy.

Now I was just wondering, if I used a stock rear w/ some Moser axles...you think it would support 400+rwhp? I plan on putting down some serious numbers. My goal for the end of this project is ~600rwhp. Probably going to end up using some spray towards the end of the project.

Now I was just wondering, if I used a stock rear w/ some Moser axles...you think it would support 400+rwhp?
    Yes. You should get it professionally tuned though.
    Matt
    2001 Formula
    2000 Firebird - sold

FI Moderator

Yes. You should get it professionally tuned though.
    The tune wont have much to do with the longevity of the rear end. regardless, the power delivery of a turbo is pretty favorable to a 10 bolt lasting (as opposed to a big shot of spray for example)

Cp
    |CP|
    '00 Camaro L36/M5/Strobes/Boost - TURBO BUILD PICS
    '05 Sierra Ext Cab - Family Hauler
    '00 Mustang Vert - Commuter
    "I can't carry a pen, I'm always afraid I'll puncture my scrotum"

It will have a lot to do with making 400 horsepower and not blowing up the stock internals.
    Matt
    2001 Formula
    2000 Firebird - sold

FI Moderator

Internals of the rear? I must not have gotten the computer controlled differential option.

Cp
    |CP|
    '00 Camaro L36/M5/Strobes/Boost - TURBO BUILD PICS
    '05 Sierra Ext Cab - Family Hauler
    '00 Mustang Vert - Commuter
    "I can't carry a pen, I'm always afraid I'll puncture my scrotum"

I was about to ask you if you were on crack today when I reread the original question.

My mistake, I thought he was asking about 400 horsepower in general and not specifically the rear end. I was refering to the motor internals, and should have read more carefully.
    Matt
    2001 Formula
    2000 Firebird - sold

FI Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast